Alleviating vomiting caused by chronic renal failure

nate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My buddy, Mr. Riki Tiki, has recently been diagnosed with chronic kidney renal failure. He has his good weeks and his bad weeks but on average he vomits 5-6 times a week. His condition is terminal but with proper care his life can be extended. I'm looking for some tips on how to reduce the frequency of his vomiting.

All ideas are greatly appreciated.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, this must be such a difficult time for you. Very sad headbuts and wish we could make things better licks from KittenKiya's Clan. My only point would be to ask if perhaps he is eating too fast and that may be one reason for the vomitiing.

If it is because of his disease, I don't know anything that I could suggest. I'm sure you must have talked this over with your vet, is there any kind of stomach soother that he could recommend for you baby?

I am so very sorry. I wish I could do more.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about his kidney problems. Only thing I know stopped my kits from vomiting is switching to an indoor formula food.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to give your more helpful information.

Good luck.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Mr Riki Tiki. Renal failure can be managed very well with diet and fluid treatment. My Sheba did very well for a year and a half after diagnosis, until she developed congestive heart failure. Changing her food (first to Science Diet G/D, then K/D) and giving her fluids at home lessened the amount of vomiting from several times a week to very, very infrequently.

I've heard some folks give Pepcid to their CRF kitties for nausea. Check with your vet for the proper dosage for your little guy.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry your kitty has this diagnosis. My sweetie Patrick lived for almost 4 years past his diagnosis, and I currently have two kitties with early crf, so I am still dealing with handling this.

The most help I received website wise is from this site:
http://www.felinecrf.org

You can find the section on nausea and vomitting and the usual meds your vet will recommend (one of which is pepcid) and a holistic option (slippery elm bark - plus they give the recipe for making this into a syrup).

Keeping your kitty well hydrated as well as addressing the stomach acid issues, should help decrease the vomitting episodes.