Allergy?

TheresaP212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In December my cat became very congested. I brought him to the vet and they gave him antibiotics for a respiratory infection. His infection cleared but at the same time he developed bumps on his back and started vomiting. Because I had just changed his food the vet determined that this was a food allergy. I switched back his food which stopped the vomiting but not the bumps. A few weeks ago he became congested again. Again I was given antibiotics which helped him. A week and a half later I was told that all of his tests were negative. He did not have herpes which would have been causing the congestion and also he did not have an upper respiratory infection! Now he is sick AGAIN. Could this be allergies even though the antibiotics were helping?? Could the skin bumps be related? Getting frustrated and worried and have already spent over $500 on appointment, tests, and medicines. I should also mention that all of this started a couple weeks after I moved into my house. Previously he never had any problems.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you know how they determined that he did not have a URI? Did they do a culture? If not, I would suggest you get one done to determine exactly what it is and then you can get the correct medication to "fix" it.

Maybe something in this thread will help: Cat has had constant URI’s for 2+ Years

As far as the bumps are concerned, perhaps it's some sort of contact dermatitis related to something in your new home. Since it's just on his back, this might take a lot of detective work to try to figure out what he might be coming into contact with that just touches that particular area. But it might not be that at all. Could the Vet culture that area too, or have they already. I know food allergies can definitely cause itching around the head and neck, but it doesn't normally result in bumps on the back. Do they bother him? WE need more information about those to try to help with that.