Allergy Friendly Cat Furniture

whiskers151

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
     Recently I have started having issues with allergies so I am trying to eliminate stuff from the house that can attract or hold allergy related particles. Does anyone have an suggestions for cat furniture that limits the amount of dust attracting surfaces while keeping it safe for them to play and climb on? I am not talking about the size necessarily as much as something that is not totally carpet covered. I don't want to get of the cat furniture I have until I know I can get something they will be able to use safely.

Thanks

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I, too, have to keep the allergens down, but find that, in the case of scratching posts, all the commerical ones have coverings that trap dust mites.  I just regularly vacuum and wipe down with highly diluted t-tree or eucalyptus oil.

But for things to climb on.. it depends how ugly you can stand!  I have a space that is full of cardboard boxes that I tape together in various ways and they just adore them.  I have a bookshelf with no books as they climb in and out of the shelving.  If you're handy you could build something perfectly serviceable... I'm thinking in the States you probably even have people who produce such things (it's a small market for pets in Australia).  Things with ladders etc that make climbing easy.

Momofmany has something that may interest you in the market place:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/245178/the-cat-condo

I'm sure others will have ideas!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The name escapes me at the moment; but I know I used to get e-mails from a company who made all wood cat furniture.  It was rather modern in design.  If I can come up with the name I'll come back to post it.  It's just not coming at the moment.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend, looking at this site:http://www.kittyplayhouse.com/. This is the man, that, made all the cat furniture for my domestics, exotic cat hybrids, and pure exotics. He makes a GREAT product. He is anything but cheap. However, his stuff, is still in my home, some 16 years later
, I finally found his old business card and new website
!

Last edited: