Allergies

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So the doc thinks my foster kitty has allergies. She sneezes alot each day. She is on antibotics though(amoxi).. Does anyone else have a kitty who has allergies? Is there anything else I can do to help her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol i wish i knew what the cause was

dazeemazeegraze

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by STLGRL5

lol i wish i knew what the cause was
You could write down on paper, where she was (like by a load of fresh laundry, groceries brought in from the store. Next to her food bowl or litter box.) for a few days and see if that might give you any ideas for the cause.

dazeemazeegraze

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Well she always lays by me
Aww. Could be a chemical like soap, lotion, deordorant, perfume, shampoo, conditioner, hair spray.

There was a body wash I purchased a few months ago that made one of my kitties sneeze. When I went back to my normal brand, she no longer sneezed.

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm weird.. Well someone adopted her and brought her back because they couldn't handle the allergies so its not just me..

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor baby!!!!! I hope you find a solution for what ever is irratating her little nose! Murphy still sneezes about 5 times a day. I have concluded that it is the litter box. He almost always sneezes when he goes in there! Sometimes he sneezes when he noses into stuff & smelling EVERYTHING! But don't worry I won't be bringing him back!!!!!!!

Him's my snugglebum!!!!!!

Let me know if you find any leads on the causes of her sneezing

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww Marg he's a cutie!! I will let you know

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Autumn sneezed a lot in the springtime (also a new residence). The vet thought she had springtime allergies so she gave us antihistemens to give her everyday. It seemed to help. We stopped after a while and she seemed to be fine, so it is either seasonal and we own't know until spring, or it was getting used to a new residence.

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So antihistemens and amoxi is two different things right?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh...for some reason I thought it was an antibiotic. Maybe it is an antihistamine.. I don't even know the name of what I had on hand...it was a while ago.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack has been going through the same thing the last week and a half. I left them in the care of a petsitter for one day, came home and discovered Jack sneezing like mad, still congested, though not sneezing as much. JJ was sneezing too, but not nearly as bad as Jack was. Another possibility, since I wasn't the cause of the sneezing in htis apartment, is that there's a perfume or erven residual cigarette smoke. I talked to the lady in charge of the petsitter company and she said the woman who visited my cats that day didn't wear perfume, but possibly smokes.

You, yourself, may not smoke, but maybe you're around smokers... and maybe that adopter who returned the kitty was around smokers... My apartment is smoke free. Period. I don't smoke and although I have friends who do, they take it outside... all the way down 7 floors and out the front or back door. my vet told me to get some benadryl... give him half a childs dose. I haven't gone anywhere where there's benadryl in the last few days.... so today, I'm going to venture over to Target... I've been good ALL month...

In all seriousness... kitties noses are more sensitive than ours, so they'll smell things we don't. I use perfume and dye free detergent... I almost never wear perfume... the only scents coming off of me are basic things... and they don't bother with those (except when I'm just out of the shower and JJ just HAS to sniff my hair... she's bizarre anyway).

Cigarrette smoke is potent stuff... so it's entirely possible that this foster kitty is allergic to something along those lines... perfumes, smoke, pollens, mold/mildew (I, myself, am allergic to those, so I have to keep my place free of it best I can... which isn't easy)... lots of stuff like that can set off a kitties allergies.

Just a thought... since i'm dealing with it myself up here in Chicagoland. Doc told me to open the windows and get some fresh air... HA! Only if theh temps hit 45 or above.

Amanda

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your cat got kennel cough? I think its more common with dogs but I believe they like to give a vaccination for cats before bringing them into a kennel situation.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Solarity, which cat are you speaking of? I don't know about anyone else's but the petsitters here in Chicago don't do kennels... it's an in-home service. they come to your place and care for the kitties in their own home. so this woman came in and fed my kitties, cleaned the litterboxes, and if needed, they give meds, water the plants, pick up mail... and whatnot.

Now, on a previous trip I took, I had them care for the cats... and I came home to the same thing. I've used them maybe 5 times. In all honesty, I'm not entirely happy with this particular company... with the screwups they've made. not to worry, I won't mention their name... (i read the thread elsewhere about not mentioning names of companies, for fear of lawsuits and such... but if someone wants to know, just PM me) I'd change to another company, but I don't know how much longer i'll be living in Chicago (out of work for a year and a half... along with other circumstances), so I'm not worrying too much. If I need their services again, I'll make it absolutely clear that only non-smokers are allowed to care for my 'kids'.

Amanda

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well i do not know if an antihistamine is an antibotic.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

well i do not know if an antihistamine is an antibotic.
I reread your post and I see you said it was an antibiotic. That would mean it would be good to look into an antihistimine from the vet if she is still showing signs of allergies.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Solarity, which cat are you speaking of? I don't know about anyone else's but the petsitters here in Chicago don't do kennels... it's an in-home service. they come to your place and care for the kitties in their own home. so this woman came in and fed my kitties, cleaned the litterboxes, and if needed, they give meds, water the plants, pick up mail... and whatnot.
Oh I didn't realize it was someone visiting your home. Still...If the pet-sitter goes from home to home they can easily carry something in on their hands or clothes. So it may not be a whole lot different. But it could be the smoke too.. As long as they are getting better thats all that matters then.

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yea i went out of town and had a petsitter come to my home, but see this kitty was on meds for her uri.

julybaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was just diagnosed with asthma. He is now on prednisone. Is there anything i should watch out for with this medication? The vet didn't really give me much info.