Allergies

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Sherlock is not feeling well! In my experience, no allergy medicine will cure a cat's allergies. It will only help alleviate some of the discomfort while you try to figure out what triggers an allergic response and stop feeding it to him. It sounds like Sherlock may possibly be allergic to fish (he may have multiple allergies). I would stop feeding him any fish and keep him on a single food until you figure out what triggers an allergic response. Instinct makes LID canned food too. I know it is not easy or fun. But, our babies are worth it!

Like Benadryl, Chorpheniramine is also an antihistamine. It may or may not help Sherlock more. It does sound like the Benadryl helped. The steroid may or may not be stronger than the antihistamine. However, it might not mask his symptoms. It also comes with drawbacks. It would be best to get him off of all allergens.

Sherlock is such a handsome guy! Hang in there and keep trying. You're doing great!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He broke out more then ever 2 days ago. His Top lip swelled up like he had rodent ulcer. His sister had that from a year on. She died at 4 on steroid treatment. I have no choice now but to put him on the steroids short term and cut out the antihistamine for now.

I am working on a diet plan for him. Here is something I found that I want to try: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-rodent-ulcer-granuloma-natural-remedies.

[emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128574[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is now on fragrance free litter [emoji]128573[/emoji]

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww. Poor little guy! :vibes:

Is he on all those foods? That is a lot of different ingredients. Common cat allergies include peas, fish, chicken and soy. Off the top of my head, I am trying to remember others. Cats can have allergies or intolerances to ANY ingredient. Carrageenan and other gums can cause problems too. It could be a protein or something else. Every cat is different.

You might consider trialing him on a limited diet. Here is some info on a food trial:

http://communityvet.net/2010/03/diy-elimination-diet-for-the-dog-an-cat/

I tried my boy on different foods and figured out the common ingredient(s) to determine what bothered him. When he did well on a food, I eliminated those ingredients to find the culprits. Sometimes, it can take a while for a cat to stop scratching or adjust to a diet. It was pretty obvious what made my cat itch when he was put on a food without peas.

I hope you get to the bottom of it and figure out if it is a food allergy.
May I ask what food your cat is on?

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His sister had that from a year on. She died at 4 on steroid treatment. I have no choice now but to put him on the steroids short term and cut out the antihistamine for now.
I'm so sorry you lost Sherlock's sister at 4. [emoji]128546[/emoji] I hope you can get Sherlock's allergies under control. It sounds like his are really bad. I'm trying to find new foods for both my cats. I have tried so many. My girl has IBD. They were both on Royal Canin Duck and Pea. Neither one can tolerate it anymore. I think I'm going to start homemade food for my girl soon. I'm looking into it. I might try a few more foods for her first. However, my boy is super finicky. I don't think he would eat it. :lol3:

My girl is currently on Nature's Variety LID Turkey. My boy is currently on Royal Canin Hairball food (switching it very soon because he is not doing well on it. He was not eating very much. So, I had to get him eating before I switch.) He gets as much canned as possible. I just have to keep trying. I really wish pet food manufacturers would stop putting so much junk in the food. If it does not have one bad ingredient, it has another. ;)

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks ForestMeows. She was at the vets when she passed. We left her there because she was having another bad reaction to her meds for her allergies and rodent ulcer. I was shocked that she took such a bad turn for worse. Normally 1 shot of steroids a year took care of it. So this is like a reoccurring nightmare for me.

I wish you some good relief too! Have you considered the raw food they have in pet stores? I wonder if that would help?

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is so sad losing a fur baby! She was so young too. My deepest sympathies. I hope that Sherlock gets better soon. I think it comes down to finding out what the culprit is. Hopefully, it is a less common ingredient. Growing up, my cats never had these kinds of problems. People need to demand better food from manufacturers. As for raw, I personally don't feel comfortable with it. There are some home kits you can buy for home cooked (and/or raw). I am almost there! :lol3:

I really hope Sherlock feels better soon! You are a wonderful pet parent for taking such great care of Sherlock. He is lucky to have you. Hugs to you both!!! [emoji]128062[/emoji] :hugs: [emoji]128062[/emoji]

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Growing up, my cats never had these kinds of problems. People need to demand better food from manufacturers.

I really hope Sherlock feels better soon! You are a wonderful pet parent for taking such great care of Sherlock. He is lucky to have you. Hugs to you both!!! [emoji]128062[/emoji] :hugs: [emoji]128062[/emoji]
hugs back to you and your fur babies! I agree. There needs to be better alternatives for pets with allergy issues and vet needs all the way around. [emoji]128519[/emoji] Here is too all of our fur babies feeling good and healthy. Let me know if you have any update and I will do the same. [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks StormySkiez. Hear, hear! [emoji]128573[/emoji]

Will do. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji]