Allergies And Diarrhea

doddsington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor Rudy has had itchy skin since we moved into our new house. We Realized he got fleas from a closet by the front door(it's a older house that was vacant for some time) idk. But he was allergic to the advantage, and was still having itchy skin so we switched his food to a hydrolized and the vet gave him comfortis flea medication. The itchy skin is gone, but he's had diarrhea for a week now!! The vet now prescribed him a probiotic that he's on 4/7 days and he's still having diarrhea. He's drinking and eating but meowing like crazy for grass I've been picking and grinding inside that he mows down on. I don't know what to do and The vet isn't helping.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try adding plain canned pumpkin to his food and also offer him chicken breast boiled with white rice. Also, try adding some unflavored Pedialyte (generic or use the recipe at www.kitten-rescue. Com) to help rebalance his electrolytes. If that doesn't help, you can ask the vet about using slippery elm and raspberry leaf tea, both of which are soothing to the intestinal tract.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the diarrhea only start when he started on the hydrolyzed diet? WHY, exactly did he start on that diet? Because of itchy skin from fleas? I'm not quite sure I understand the correlation.

I do, however, agree with trying to add in some pumpkin (unless there is some very good reason for the hydrolyzed diet), or trying the boiled chicken and white rice for a few days, along with the slippery elm bark and a good probiotic. Is the one you are using FortiFlora? That usually helps one of my boys when he gets antibiotic induced diarrhea.