Allergic to PEAS???

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to know if anyone has found any good allergy pet food (not too spendy) that does not contain peas? My cat is allergic to fish, chicken, duck, yeast, oats, milk, rice, pork, lamb, potatoes, peas and barley (according to her panel) and reacts even to the highly allergen free Hills feline z/d (which i'd rather not feed her because it's expensive and i think crap for nutrition!).

So...weirdly she can eat some of the common allergens like corn and wheat and soybean, but since she needs odd protiens, i find that food made with venison and rabbit always seem to have peas and rice and things she is allergic too.

Any suggestions?
Hummm...... What panel? Those allergy panels the vets do? Do know that is that is what you are talking about.... Luckily for your kitty, because otherwise by the list you are giving in your post, it wouldn't really be able to eat...), they are highly unreliable.....

Weirdly enough, she reacted to it. I know that "salmon oil" and things of that nature are commonly added and that it isn't supposed to (i think) cause a reaction in an animal that is allergic to fish....
You are right..... They are not supposed to cause a reaction.... When a cat is allergic to the protein, it is not allergic to the fat - different type of molecules. The allergen is the protein. Chicken fat - such as the one used as a preservative, for example, is not an allergen, when chicken is - same thing with fish oil.

I would love to know if anyone has found any good allergy pet food (not too spendy) that does not contain peas?
Raw

kmasden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your informative reply - i really appreciate it. Especially the knowledge about the protien vs. the fat, that helps me sooo much to feel better about trying something with say salmon oil, even though the "panel" says she is allergic to fish....do you know if this would apply to "extracts" as well (like the yeast extract).

The panel that was done was done by VARL (Veterinary Allergy Reference Laboratory) and is called a LiquidGold Allergy Test (looking at the document). They did an Extended Foods panel that represensts the levels of IgE antibodies specific to the allergen they are testing for. The panel rates the allergens from a Class 0 (being absent or undetectable) to a Class 6 being an ultra high level. She didn't come in higher than a 2 on all these things, however, i can tell you that after trying a gazillion foods...I have found nothing that she does not have an extreme reaction to within a matter of 3 days (day 1 she is usually shaking her head and going at her ears and her face looks swollen, by day 2 she'll start getting red pimples/pistules all over her head especially above the eyes and scratching like crazy until she bleeds, and usually by the third day she's miserable and sometimes even wheezing and feverish). Sometimes she'll get some symptoms and not the others, other times she'll get everything super fast and really bad. According to the vet, she shouldn't react so strongly...yet she does. i think she is just a sensitive kitty. In fact, she even reacts to the feline z/d dry food, although the wet does not seem to bother her (sadly i think it is nutritional junk just because it's so boiled out or whatever and she hates it LOL). As i mentioned above, even trying her on a single protien with no other ingredients, she still started reacting :-(.

I should also add that my two cats are indoor only, have never been outside, are monitored during eating times (well at least by my and often by the kids, though i'm not home, so err....) so they don't eat each other's food, and i don't use anything else on them - so it definately is a food issue, even if panels aren't reliable....

What i think i hear you saying, is that because blood test allergen panels are unreliable (why?), that perhaps i should go ahead and try some foods with the supposed allergens, in case she isn't really allergic to them....

I'm definately considering making my own cat food or trying the raw, however it really doesn't fit with our lifestyle too much so i really really hope to find something canned that she can eat, especially for times when we can't monitor them as much and put food up, etc...

I don't know if it matters, but she was a rescue cat who had been found on the streets at about 3 1/2 months old, apparently part of a litter that was left in a home when the occupants moved in the middle of los angeles....at least that is the story i got (she was also pregnant at the time, but they took the babies when they spayed her)...so in my head, i figure either the family fed the animals a lot of table food or she dumpster dived (or whatever cats do on the street) and perhaps that is why she has allergens to substances she should have never even eaten before (like peas). Also, her highest levels (the class 2s, are the starches - oats, rice, potato and peas....). But again, i have found that she really does react to isolated things (for instance milk which i let her try, and is listed as an allergen - had her itching and scratching)....

I'm concerned about her, she's lost half a pound during the last year even though her diet is the same, she has crystals in her urine, and her ionized calcium is high, though she didn't show any thyroid issues and i did have them do the additional testing of the thyroid that supposedly gives back a result that when positive, is 95% reliable indication of a cancer somewhere...that test came back inconclusive....

Sorry if i've hijacked this thread - but i sure hope anyone else that has such problems comes across it and maybe doesn't feel so darned alone. Poor thing is only 4 and i just want her to be healthy and comfortable!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try raw and see how she does.... There are commercially prepared foods that can benefit her - especially single meal novel protein for example, Rabbit, venison, goat, lamb, quail, pheasant.... there is even llama!..... there is plenty of variety out there to try. The ones I feed are all single proteins, and all meat - no vegetables, no grains, no additives - they are complete/supplemented with vitamins and taurine, of course. The cost is less than canned, including shipping - some I get in my local store (i.e. Rad Cat)
You will have to change things around in your life style, but it CAN fit most people's life - I feed mine around my work schedule - a meal before work, in the morning, a meal after work, in the early evening, and a late meal, at 11pm before I go to bed.
In between preparing, feeding and cleaning, it takes me about an hour.
There is no leaving the plates behind for the kids to clean up. You prepare the food, you serve, make sure she eats (from the time you serve, she has only 20 minutes or so to eat - mine eat faster at this point, but in the beginning it took longer), then you pick up, wash the dishes, wipe the area really quickly with a clorox spray of vinegar, and you are done.
It has been nothing but a small miracle for my boy Bugsy -

Hope this is a solution for your girl too........ something need to be..... for her sake and yours! :wavey:

lily rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the postings, they really helped me narrow down my 17 year old rescue's issues and I've concluded that peas are his problem. He was on Tractor Supply's 4 Health since I adopted him then suddenly could no longer tolerate it and began to lose weight.
I experimented with several highly recommended brands, but the ones containing pea protein were rejected after a few days. He was still hungry bc he was always after his treats so I felt it was the food. After trial and error I found success with Fromm's Adult Gold, no peas PLUS it contains probiotics. My searching reveals that I can't be brand loyal but look at ingredients and manufacturing, just like my food.
An aside: Thayer'so witch hazel toner with rose is also very nice for soothing irritation

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you got a lot of good feedback.

My two cents - Yes, allergies and sensitivities are super common. My cat can't have any seafood or he gets the runs. I was told if he kept getting them after removing seafood (he's fine with just that change), to put him on a venison-only diet because that's the least inflammatory.

lily rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty also had issues with seafood, it seems, that was one of the trials that became an error :).I also found a game bird formulation (fairly pricey)that considered bc he likes chicken, it seems.  But, it had the pea protein so I didn't even try. I also heard the same thing about venison but haven't had to try that yet.

piera117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a cat that's allergic to green peas, flax seed & soy.  My Holistic Vet was the only one that offered the blood test.  I give her Weruva mack & jack

Piera   :)