Allergic to my cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanessab25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

I went to the allergist to get an allergy test and I found out that I am allergic to both dogs and cats (I have both) and I told them once I found out there is no way in heck I am giving my babies up. I took allergy shots, but I am not deathly allergic and so I saw myself getting better and I stopped taking them because I am not severely allergic. I would get a 2nd opinion and ditch that doctor.. there are people who live with cats and dogs and other animals they are allergic to and they manage and wouldn't give up their pets either like myself. I am sure you won't give them up either because you obviously love your babies.
Karen (Abbysmom) gave some great suggestions what you can do to deal with your allergies. good luck!
\\\\

I really appreciate all the support you guys have given me...how on earth does a doc ask a cat addict to give up her babies?
In any case, it's not just them I'm allergic to, it's also pollen and dust. All the advice is highly appreciated by everyone

When I thought of life without my fur babies, I started bawling (that's just not an option!)

Thanks again

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to my cats too. I just use my albuterol inhaler when I go to bed and take Benedryl when it gets bad (which it doesn't do very often.) I've read that dark cats have a different allergen than light cats. Not sure if this is true or not. Siberian cats have a lack of a certain glyco-protein in their saliva, known as Fel d1, and are supposed to be hypo-allergenic.
Of course, none of that really matters when you already have the cats that you love living in your home. The ways that I've read about controlling allergies to cats is to bathe your cat monthly and wipe them down with distilled water frequently (bi-weekly or daily depending on your allergies.) Keeping your environment pet hair free by daily vacuuming with a hepa-filter vacuum, installing a hepa filter on your furnace and reducing the amount of fabric in the environment (carpeting, upholstered furniture, draperies) is supposed to help also. Keeping your bedroom off limits to your cats is also recommended. That's something that would be impossible for me, so I don't even try! The advice to keep the cats and get rid of the doctor worked for me. That's the treatment I recommend above all others!!!

Pookie & the girls

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

There are also things you can do to help cut down on allergies. I have heard people on here suggest wiping them down once a day with distilled water on a cloth. You can also vacuum daily with a vacuum that uses a HEPA filter, even if you have wood floors. The one thing everyone suggests is to not let them in your bed. Which may be hard if they are used to sleeping with you, but that is one place it will bother you the most. There are a lot of things you can do to help. You don't have to get rid of your cats. I know I have seen a lot of threads on this subject so do a search around and you will find a lot of help.
The distilled water is also my suggestion. You don't have to dump them in it, just wipe them down all over with a thoroughly damp cloth as already mentioned. I don't test allergic to cats but I do have asthma so I do all I can for maintenance. I never try to keep them out of my bed but a good thing to do is always make sure your pillow is covered when you're not sleeping on it or just change the pillow case every day. My long hair loves to sleep on my pillow during the day if it's uncovered.

I think that a main cause of "cat allergy" is more due to the dust that settles on any cat hair lying around. JMO

Good luck with that!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends who has cat's a few years ago was told by an allergist that she also was allergic to her cat's and to get rid of them..I found that very "cold" hearted also. My friend has always had cat's and developed the allergy. She did not go for a second opinion, she came to me..I gave her all of the advise that was stated here, and it really seemed to help her alot. She now just take the OTC Alevert before going to bed, and has trained the cats to sleep anywhere else on the bed but near her head. She is doing great. Good luck to you..

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am also having this problem and I wanted to give a big thank you to everyone that offered solutions!
I have not gone to the doc myself, but I've had Princess for a week now and yesterday my eye started watering uncontrollably, my throat dry and my sinuses having major issues.

Thank you again!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any doctor who would tell you getting rid of them is the only option isn't a good doctor. I mean, yes, medically it probably is the best thing to do (I am allergic to Zissou as well) but doctors should know they are treating a person and not just a body. I just had this discussion with mine and he said since my asthma is well-controlled without steroids unless I am ill, and my allergies are currently more of a nuisance than a real medical problem, he said "don't worry, I'm not going to tell you to get rid of her. We only do that as a last resort". I told him that wasn't even an option and he understood.

There are TONS of things you can do, one of them being wait it out. If you've had them for three years and are having symptoms now, they might get better, they might get worse, they might disappear. My allergies almost always lessen with exposure, so though I'm still very allergic to cats I'm not allergic to Zissou. Which is handy when she sleeps on my face.

vanessab25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem with my allergies is that I've been getting a rash.
I want to try Zyrtec and see if it helps.

My mom spoke to a herbalist yesterday and he recommended I come and see him. He's got these drops (it's like a 2 week detox) and then allergy tabs specifically for allergies to cats - and it's all natural.

In the meantime I have followed everyone's advice (distilled water, vacuuming, though I do still need to bath my babies...which is going to be a mission)

vanessab25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Holla Atcha girls!

LOLZ...scuse the craziness - I'm just in a good mood

Anyways, I got some Zyrtec today cos of the rash on my bod from my fur babies...so whaddya guys reckon? Will it help?