Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Should this post even be on this board?
Someone else might have similar misconceptions that could be cleared up by seeing it.

OK, let's talk about health benefits related to birthing/raising young. Researchers have found a link between breastfeeding and reduced breast cancer rates in humans. I don't know if the same thing would work for cats, but it's a reasonable hypothesis. However, the probable cause of this link is hormonal, hormones being one of the causative factors in breast cancer (and other cancers). Since spaying a cat removes the main sources of hormones, a spayed cat's reproductive-related cancer risk is already extremely low (the earlier the cat is spayed, the lower their risk, although if done properly the ovarian cancer risk will always be lowered to 0% for the same reason males of any species don't get ovarian cancer), so their additional gain from having nursed kittens beforehand, if any, is going to be very low. Their risks in birthing are higher than these benefits.

If you want her to have the social benefit of being a mom to kittens, you could foster a pregnant stray or some orphaned kittens, so that she could help raise them. Bottle-fed kittens in particular benefit from having a grown cat around to help socialize them.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

About $300 per kitten after all is said and done. And that's with a cheaper vet.
And that's if everything goes normally. One of my parents' cats once ran up a bill of $900 just to get two kittens born.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ericagal,

I think your post is appalling and very misinformed, and your arrogant, snide response is even worse. You claim to have had cats all of your life. Well if that is true, you should know more about cat health and well-being than you obviously do.

1. 9 months is way too young for a cat to have kittens.

2. You can't afford the stud fee but then you contradict yourself and claim you would be able to afford health costs? Lady, if your cat has any problems during the delivery of her kittens and has to be rushed to an emerg vet for assistance, you will need a heckuva lot more $$ than the cost of a stud fee.

3. You would be willing to have your cat mate with any old tom cat; obviously, because you're going around the internet pretty much willing to find the 'services' of any male cat. What if the cat has sexuall transmitted diseases? Is unknowingly FIV or FeLV+? Are you going to be paying for proper testing? Doesn't sound like you care. Just as long as it's an "orange male."

4. It is ignorant to think that a litter of kittens will prolong your young female's life. There are real and medically proven health risks to not spaying a female in time, as have been mentioned here.

Given a previous post of yours here recently, in which you think it's no biggie to let cats roam outside (oh well, cat fell through the ice on the pond), I feel very, very sorry for any pets in your care.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...62#post2840362

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree this post should be locked but kept on the site.

To Ericagal - wow, just wow. Making assumptions about people on this site. Now who is being judgmental?

As someone who rescues cats and kittens as a passion, I have to say - please do not breed her. If you want kittens, go to the local rescue or to the ASPCA in Philadelphia or something and get one or two. You are not doing her or the unborns any favors.

Yes this litter is "wanted". But for every supposedly wanted litter, giving the cat a chance at motherhood, which is over rated and full of risks for the cat -another dumped or unwanted litter is killed at a pound or shelter. In other words, unless you plan on keeping all of those kittens, someone will take one of those kits instead of a kit on death row. And believe me,thousands of cats and kittens are killed around this country every day.

You sound like a guy I had contact with ... just helped rescue a beautiful Ragdoll from him. Cat peeing everywhere. I said maybe he has a urinary tract infection, etc. gave him all kinds of useful advice and got the NASTIEST response that HE knew ALL ABOUT CATS, ANIMALS AND TO
off. Well, the cat got rescued and guess what? UTI. He is in a much better sitch now.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ericagal178

I didn't ask you guys to lecture me on getting my cat spayed. We have the money for any health risks and taking care of the kittens. I've raised cats my entire life.

And biologically, it is healthier for female mammals (humans included, for you dears who don't leave the house) to give birth in their lives. It doesn't necessarily give cats longer lives, but it does ensure certain disorders not to set in.

I didn't ASK you all for a lecture. I didn't read most of those. I don't care what you have to say about that matter. All I did, was ask for someone with a stud cat to help us out.

Good luck playing high and mighty in your lives. I'll go to another website if nobody is just willing to help me.
If this is your attitude, you should have never agreed to the Rules (which you did on signing up for a membership), which includes as the second rule:
2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. If you take care of a feral colony, please make sure to do so responsibly by practicing TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) protocols within the colony. By spaying and neutering, you enhance a cat's quality of life and improve their longterm health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner/caregiver you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation. \t\t\t \t\t
This forum is here for the health and welfare of cats around the world. Period. You are grossly misinformed about the "need" of a cat (or any other animal, humans included) to reproduce, for whatever notion you wish to put forth. You NEED to do real research on this issue before putting your cat through this, and adding to the already overwhelming feline overpopulation problem around the world.

You will not find this forum to support your backyard breeding plans in any way, shape or form. As such, this thread is hereby closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.