All Things MAINE COON

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
South Carolina (California native-Sacramento)
Hey y'all. I have had my Maine Coon cat, Austin Taylor, for 11 and a half years. Oh boy is he my pride and joy!!! He is my son. They are my favorite breed of cat for several reasons. Don't want to give them all out at once!

I thought,if anyone is interested,we could talk anything Maine coon. Ask questions or give advice. Post pics and vids. I'm wanting to learn more about my bugaboo Boochie. As he's up in his age,maybe I could get some advice on keeping him completely healthy and content as he agas.

Thanks for any responses. [emoji]128519[/emoji]

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maine Coons ARE a unique and much sought after breed! 

Kricket just turned 19 months and I have had him since he was a little ball of fluff that fit into my cupped hands! 

I almost didn't take him because I had just rescued his 'brother', Keeker (DSH) the week before and wasn't planning on another kitten so soon (actually, never), but his situation was desperate and I refused to allow him to be PTS just because his owner couldn't care for him! 

He is full of passion, emotion and love and I can't even imagine my life without him in it!

View media item 313415

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi babe! I see you found it[emoji]128536[/emoji]. I just love what you wrote and I absolutely agree. My Austin is the most loyal,affectionate and passionate being ever!!!! He is so sensitive to my emotions. When I'm sad,or even crying,he immediately comes to me and comforts me. Even licking away my tears. If I'm upset,oh he knows that too! But if I raise my voice in anger,he gets frightened. That makes me feel just awful. He knows the difference in me being excited about something or being upset. He is the greatest snuggle bunny!! He cuddles in my chest,stomach area if I'm on my side. On my back,he's on my chest or to my side. Sometimes I wake up with him wrapped around my neck or on my face!!! My most favorite thing he does is make biscuits on my tummy!!! He "bakes me cakes" all the time and really gets into it. Purring his fur off! These traits I've mentioned are the "Maine Coon!" They're known for they're affection and loyalty. This IS the best breed for anyone wanting a cat. Whether a family or alone. Although they do well solo,they're happier with a buddy. And get along well with any breed. My boy has "mothered" several different breeds as brothers and now his first sister. He loves everyone! And is extremely intelligent. He fetches and returns,speaks on command and loves his walks on a leash. He also will stand up on his hind legs,when you rub your two fingers together in a "come here" here motion. Then he rubs and nudges allllll over my face ! By the time he's done I feel like I have a beard,but I just love when he gives me "konker bonkers "!!!

Ps...for some reason the option to attach a picture didn't show up.... I'll work on that!!![emoji]128047[/emoji]

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fake?  He is very real! LOL 

Kricket is quiet, silky soft, gentle, laid-back, and extremely affectionate and timid! 

While Keeker, my DSH, will plow through, go gung-ho, and do whatever he pleases - when he pleases - Kricket will ask permission and then double check to make sure it's OK. LOL 

For instance - I will get up from my desk and before I am completely standing, Keeker will jump on the chair so fast he makes it spin around and swat at me, then dare me to sit back down! Kricket will wait until he is pretty certain I am not coming right back, will sit in front of the chair and look over his shoulder at me and ask, "Are you finished here? Is it OK if I lay on your chair for a little while?"  Even when I tell him it's OK, he will still give me a look and say, "You sure it's alright?", then he will hop up and lay down.

And yes, Kricket doesn't like a lot of noise either. He will jump on the windowsill and hide behind the curtains or go under the bed  when I turn on the vacuum. 

He will always, without fail, lay in bed with me when I am reading my book. As soon as the light goes out, he comes up on the pillow and plops his butt on my face, then rolls over so I can rub his belly. He will wrap both paws around my arms and lick my hand until it goes numb! He changes position about 10 times before he finds the 'right spot' and he will purr and chirp and rub his head against mine until I turn over and tell him I've had enough lovin'. Keeker will lay up on the chest of drawers like a king and look down on us like we are peons.

He is pretty submissive where Keeker is concerned. He is a follower, not a leader. Keeker is an instigator and I find myself assessing the situation before I put blame on either of them. Like the time I got jacked-up with Kricket because he had some Q-tips and I thought he was getting them out of the bathroom trash can. I threw them in the kitchen trash and five minutes later, I look over and he has about 4 Q-tips! I knew there weren't that many in the bathroom, so I investigated.

I found Keeker on the bathroom vanity with one paw holding the cabinet door open and with the other, he was reaching in and grabbing Q-tips and tossing them down to Kricket! I now keep the Q-tips on a shelf in the closet --- BUT, just to show me up, about 10 minutes later, Keeker comes strutting out into the living room with my toothbrush in his mouth like it was a T-bone steak! And he just glared up at me and said, "Pffttttt! I found something better to play with!". What a BRAT he is!

They are as different as day and night --total and complete opposites! But Kricket is my snuggle buddy for sure!

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said ALMOST!!!! Lol Like a painted portrait! Keeker is the black cat...right?
Yes, Keeker is the DSH. I think he thinks he is Maine Coon though, LOL. He sat on the bathroom scale the other day and I about spit when I saw the numbers, Girl!  I weighed him a second time to be sure and.... my little domestic boy came in at a mere 15.2 pounds! Solid as a rock! He is not over-weight at all. He is very tall and long and muscular. My daughter says he isn't a house cat, he's a Panther. 

I haven't been able to get Kricket to sit still on the scale, but his last weight 2 months ago was just 13.9. I'm sure he's grown a bit since then. He's just 19 months, so he has another 3 1/2 years of growing to do til he reaches 'full maturity'. Personally, I think Kricket is small for a Coonie, but I don't want him to get huge. I'd be happy if he topped out at about 18 pounds.

They have weighed within ounces of each other since they were kittens. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

PS. Both of your babies are just gorgeous!
Thank you! 

Jasper is gorgeous too. I like the orange and white. You can see his personality in his face.

I know the feeling of losing a pet... especially so very young. I lost Punkin about 30 years ago when he was just about 10 months old.

That's the one thing that makes me ...worried? about having a MC. The do have issues with hip dysplasia and heart problems. *sigh* Thankfully, both my Boys are in excellent health and I hope they stay that way forever! 

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, Keeker is the DSH. I think he thinks he is Maine Coon though, LOL. He sat on the bathroom scale the other day and I about spit when I saw the numbers, Girl!  I weighed him a second time to be sure and.... my little domestic boy came in at a mere 15.2 pounds! Solid as a rock! He is not over-weight at all. He is very tall and long and muscular. My daughter says he isn't a house cat, he's a Panther. 

I haven't been able to get Kricket to sit still on the scale, but his last weight 2 months ago was just 13.9. I'm sure he's grown a bit since then. He's just 19 months, so he has another 3 1/2 years of growing to do til he reaches 'full maturity'. Personally, I think Kricket is small for a Coonie, but I don't want him to get huge. I'd be happy if he topped out at about 18 pounds.

They have weighed within ounces of each other since they were kittens. 
Wow!! Yes my boys are chunky monkeys as well! Austin is a small Maine coon for a male. He weighs 15 pounds. Sam, who is not a Maine coon, weighs 16 pounds. My boys are full of lovins!!! And the funny thing is,Gracie our newest addition who weighs less than 4 pounds,bomb rushes them and knocks them slap over!!! She is a feisty little girl and she more than handles her own. She gives the boys a run for their money and keeps them active!!! I'll try to get a good video of them all going at it! It's hilarious to watch! Lol my boys think that they're dogs. Especially when I walk them outside on leashes. They roll in dirt like dogs! And like said before,Austin fetches and speaks on command. Very very intelligent he is.

Last edited:

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a Maine Coon Jasper. This is him

He's full of allergies though and I'm not sure but I think it affected his personality a little. He's very independent, very aloof. He doesn't much like affection and will duck away if you try to pet him. He chooses to sleep on his own. That being said, he is a "buddy" and wants to be involved in everything you do from watching you clean the shower to sniffing every ingredient that is going in the dinner (and occasionally taste testing the meat products ;) ). He's very sensitive and cheeky (likes to knock anything that's on a flat surface onto the floor) but also has periods of aggression (we think it's redirected aggression from other cats who come into the yard but aren't 100% certain on that). Despite his "issues" we just adore him and shower him with love (much to his horror!)

We also had another MC until earlier this year. We adopted a brother for Jasper Benji. He was an absolute clown (as you can see). Always making us laugh, we never knew where he'd show up. He'd sleep in the bathroom sink, we found him in the dishwasher one day (it was empty and open, we didn't wash him!) and would come in at 6am every single morning and groom our eyebrows and have an hour or two snuggling. He wanted to be just like his big brother Jasper and would follow Jasper around learning all his tricks. He always smelled like a wooley sheep. Even right after a bath.

He had health issues though (luxating patella's, probably hip displaysia and severe urinary crystals). We also suspect he had a heart condition because we woke up one morning when he was just 8 1/2 months old and found him cold in his cat tree. It was one of the most horrible and devastating experiences of my life and we still miss him every single day. It still hurts, 8 months on, to look at his little face.

What beautiful cats!! Just precious. [emoji]128536[/emoji] Jasper sounds like my cat,Sam. He's not a Coon. He's the DSH grey/white. But very independent until he decides he wants to be a huge mamas boy!!! Austin,my Coon,also wants to be involved in everything! From helping me make the bed to helping me go pottie...... Even if he's just sitting in my lap,comforting me during an uncomfortable...... Well you get my point. He's very in tune with my emotions and feelings. Extremely affectionate. I just adore him.

I'm so sorry about the baby you lost. I know too ,from experience,how hard and very devastating that is. My heart goes out to you honey. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ My husband and I rescued a 6 week old kitten,Drew,in 2013. He was Austins bestes bud. They truly were brothers. He had a slight heart murmur and passed just after turning 4. I came into my house,after just seeing him doing fine,and he was taking his last breath while I was saying his name! I gave him mouth to mouth but he was already gone. I'm a firm believer in animals going to heaven. I know in my heart that he is there with your cat and Fyllis'! And they're having a blast while they wait for us. [emoji]128536[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Austin sleeps in our bathroom sink on a daily basis. I love it! And in the laundry basket and lots of other silly places!!! And Sam always joins him. And now so does Gracie. It's the most adorable thing to find the three of them in a snuggled up snoozing slumber!!!! I take pics all the time!! Lol

I'll get some more pictures together. Glad you're here honey...[emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

suecatcrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They both are gorgeous. I am sorry for your loss. We have a Maine coon mix. She is 18 lbs. She is not most affection either, but we love her. I know how you feel about loosing a pet. I lost my Scarlett and Sasha within a month apart 3 years ago. Scarlett was 10 and Sasha 17. Mother and daughter, I guess they had to be together. I miss them both so.

Here is a pic of our Maine coon mix Tammie.

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They both are gorgeous. I am sorry for your loss. We have a Maine coon mix. She is 18 lbs. She is not most affection either, but we love her. I know how you feel about loosing a pet. I lost my Scarlett and Sasha within a month apart 3 years ago. Scarlett was 10 and Sasha 17. Mother and daughter, I guess they had to be together. I miss them both so.
Here is a pic of our Maine coon mix Tammie.
Welcome! How just darling! She resembles my Austin in the face. [emoji]128522[/emoji] I love my babies long,plush fur!! I just nestle my face in his belly and fall fast asleep.

I'm sorry to hear that. It is the hardest thing ever!!! They never leave our heart or mind. Things will remind us of them. It is painful. May you find peace in knowing they're together and content. [emoji]128536[/emoji]

Last edited:

suecatcrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome! How just darling! She resembles my Austin in the face. [emoji]128522[/emoji] I love my babies long,plush fur!! I just nestle my face in his belly and fall fast asleep.

I'm sorry to hear that. It is the hardest thing ever!!! They never leave our heart or mind. Things will remind us of them. It is painful. May you find peace in knowing they're together and content. [emoji]128536[/emoji]
I like cats with long fur too. Tammie is 6 yrs old and my 2 Persians are 3 years old. I love them so. I do not think Tammie would let you put her face in her plush. fur. She is a bit to grouchy for that. lol The other 2 might.

It was tough loosing 2 s close together. Not something I would want to go through again. We just put one to sleep and the other got sick

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is Drew Montana,when he just turned 4. He passed shortly thereafter. We miss him terribly and named a trail on our 24 acre farm after him.

This is Austin(L) and Drew(R) lounging together,as they often did. They shared the brown mackerel tabby trait. We called them "brothers from another mother". And they truly were brothers!!!

Here are a few of Austin Taylor and his brother of the last 4 years,Sam Elliot.

Last edited:

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@GLORY JASMINE thank you! I wish Jasper had Mama's boy moments but alas he does not. He has friended one of my 13 year old twins though and will hop up on her bed and let her carry him around and pat him where he refuses to let the rest of us! I'm so sorry about Drew, he's just adorable (all of them are just gorgeous!) It's so hard when they're taken way too soon.
@SueCatCrazy thank you. I'm sorry about Sasha and Scarlett. Our first 2 we had for 14 years and Toby passed almost exactly a year after we lost Charlotte. We lost 4 in total over the course of just 3 years. 2 of them only babies, it was rough. Tammie is just gorgeous! I love her floofy belly!