All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the latest mystery in the New York Times bestselling Cat in the Stacks series, librarian Charlie Harris and his Maine Coon cat Diesel must clear a friend when the evidence is stacked against her…

Springtime in Mississippi is abloom with beauty, but the library’s employees are too busy worrying to stop and smell the flowers. The new library director, Oscar Reilly, is a brash, unfriendly Yankee who’s on a mission to cut costs—and his first targets are the archive and the rare book collection.

As annoying as a long-overdue book, Reilly quickly raises the hackles of everyone on staff, including Charlie’s fiery friend Melba—whom Reilly wants to replace with someone younger. But his biggest offense is declaring all four-legged creatures banned from the stacks.

With enemies aplenty, the suspect list is long when Reilly's body is discovered in the library. But things take a turn for the worse when a threatening e-mail throws suspicion on Melba.

Charlie is convinced that his friend is no murderer, especially when he catches sight of a menacing stranger lurking around the library. Now he and Diesel will have to read between the lines, before Melba is shelved under “G” for guilty…

Attachments

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
In the latest mystery in the New York Times bestselling Cat in the Stacks series, librarian Charlie Harris and his Maine Coon cat Diesel must clear a friend when the evidence is stacked against her…

Springtime in Mississippi is abloom with beauty, but the library’s employees are too busy worrying to stop and smell the flowers. The new library director, Oscar Reilly, is a brash, unfriendly Yankee who’s on a mission to cut costs—and his first targets are the archive and the rare book collection.

As annoying as a long-overdue book, Reilly quickly raises the hackles of everyone on staff, including Charlie’s fiery friend Melba—whom Reilly wants to replace with someone younger. But his biggest offense is declaring all four-legged creatures banned from the stacks.

With enemies aplenty, the suspect list is long when Reilly's body is discovered in the library. But things take a turn for the worse when a threatening e-mail throws suspicion on Melba.

Charlie is convinced that his friend is no murderer, especially when he catches sight of a menacing stranger lurking around the library. Now he and Diesel will have to read between the lines, before Melba is shelved under “G” for guilty…
Sounds good!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I finished the Madigan Amos Zoo Mysteries, which were entertaining.
Then came
The Duchess Of Windsor: The Uncommon Life of Wallis Simpson by Greg King, which was better and more nuanced than I'd expected. The fashion and decorating bits were boring (to me), but most of it was quite interesting and balanced, unlike other accounts I'd read. Other sources described how vindictive the Queen Mother was, but this book goes into a lot of detail.

Last night's reading was a free e-book called
Kitchen Addiction! by Lizz Lund, which was rather strange. I'll skip the rest of the series unless the books are free.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finally finished Window on the Bay by Debbie Macomber. I used to really enjoy her books, but found this one rather "meh". :ohwell:

I think next I'm going to borrow a couple photography books from the library and skim them for tips on how to get the most out of my new camera.

Them come January 1st, I'll be starting The Mountain Between Us our January 2020 Book of the Month Club read. Everyone is welcome to read along with us, and then discuss it with us later in the month.

1577459439335.png

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still reading The Roommates which I downloaded from Kindle for free. I'm going to start The Mountain Between Us soon.
jcat jcat , The book about Wallis Simpson sounds good. I never heard that the Queen Mother was vindictive but there is a lot of
stuff I don't know about The Abdication of Kind Edward so I may read a book about it.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When librarian Kathleen Paulson
moved to Mayville Heights,
Minnesota, she had no idea that
two strays would nuzzle their
way into her life. Owen is a
tabby with a catnip addiction and Hercules is a stocky tuxedo
cat who shares Kathleen's
fondness for Barry Manilow. But
beyond all the fur and purrs,
there's something more to
these felines. When murder interrupts
Mayville's Music Festival,
Kathleen finds herself the prime
suspect. More stunning is her
realization that Owen and
Hercules are magical-and she's relying on their skills to solve a
purr-fect murder.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I want to have a small library of my favorite books and constantly re-read them)
I do both, re-read authors I particularly like, but then wander out and see what else I can find :)

Currently I'm reading John Lescroart, catching up with books in his series that he's written since I'd stopped reading so much a bit ago. I'm in The Ophelia Cut now.

Personally I think his writing is better than Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I want to have a small library of my favorite books and constantly re-read them) why spend this time on a one-time variety?(
I always thought I wanted to have my own library of favourite books, but I rarely ever read the same book twice, so I gave up on that idea, and donated most of my books, and now borrow e-books from the library.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6
books without cats are boring)
While I don't find that ALL books without cats are boring, I do find that all books WITH cats are made much, much better!

I want to have a small library of my favorite books and constantly re-read them) why spend this time on a one-time variety?(
LOL, that way lies madness, in my case! I now have somewhere around 900 books in my home, ALL of which I will re-read at some point! And MOST of which have cats as the theme, or at least present in them! Not EVERY one, but most!

Currently reading "The Fallen Man," #12 in the Leaphorn and Chee series (no cats, but wonderful Navajo culture!). I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but it is the halfway point in the books I own in the series, so I'll be taking a break to read a couple of the wonderful cat-themed books that I got for Christmas before diving in and finishing the series!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...I finished "The Fallen Man," GULPED down "Hitting the Books," which is #9 in The Library Lovers series (no cats, but LOTS of books, and recipes, and outlines for book club discussions, plus a craft project), and have just started "Cat About Town," the first book in the Cat Café Mystery series by Cate Conte. It's the only one I have, got it for Christmas, and I can already tell that this will be the next series I start buying in the New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.