all 3 of my kittens suddenly having a very bad smelly breath

faizanx7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
they are about 5-6 months old, they are having a very bad breath , i googled the symptoms and apparently people are saying stuff like gingitivitis and other problems , can somebody help?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At that age, I would attribute it more to whatever it is that they are eating. I honestly don't know any cat/kitten that their breath smelled 'great'! Although now is not too late to also add a toothbrushing regimen, if you are contemplating doing so. Maybe starting with rubbing their gums with some cat toothpaste, and then moving onto the finger toothbrushes, and finally - if desired, graduate them to a cat toothbrush.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faizanx7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i also heard something about cat teething at this age , is it because they are growing new teeth ? They get a cat food and almost regular treats of chicken meat

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you look in their mouths? I'm wondering if they have any baby teeth that are being pushed out/aside by erupting adult teeth, and food getting trapped between the two and causing the smell. My little puppy had this happen, her breath went really foul and she had a retained baby tooth with some food buildup between that and the new tooth that they pulled when they spayed her.
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentioned getting them started on brushing/mouth handling, and this is an excellent idea! If they won't let you do much, or if you're afraid they might accidentally bite your fingers, I've used a Q-tip with a dab of (pet safe) paste in place of a tooth brush too.