All 3 Cats Howling Out the Window

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I rushed out of our bedroom a few minutes ago to the sound of cats howling.  It sounded like a cat fight in our living room (which we've never had before).

Our multi cat household is composed of 3 brothers who we've had together indoors since they were 5 weeks old.  They are now a little over 5 years old and just last night all 3 were cuddling on the same blanket together.  We are lucky they get along so well.

Anyways, we had left a window open, which we often do and all three cats were standing at the window howling outside.  It wasn't clear what they were howling at.  We had to distract them by making noises and then when they were distracted we fed them in the other room. 

Anyone had anything like this happen before?  Do you think it was another cat? Thoughts/explanations?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It was probably a cat or another predator like a raccoon that set them off. We usually get that reaction when there's a fox or marten in the yard. We sometimes get wild boar beyond the fence, and that provokes interest, but no howling.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whatever it was out there, 3 males cat-swearing at it probably scared the puckey out of it.  I would say it was another cat, but like jcat says, it could have been a raccoon or possum. Do you live in the city or out in the country?

They were telling the intruder that it was going to get seriously stomped if it didn't leave THEIR property.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We need a guard cats sign.  I honestly think it would have scared a human intruder as well.  It scared my husband and I!  They were LOUD! 

If it actually was a break in, one cat would attack, one would hide and the other would start rubbing against the intruder's legs.  If they all meowed like that and my dog barked, that intruder would go running. ;)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've actually got a guard cat sign. A friend gave it to me after our last cat bit the mailman. :lol3: He'd been warned not to try to pet him, but he insisted that all cats liked him.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one cat that attacks is just the sweetest thing when we are home.  He is so friendly to visitors and will let them pet him for much longer than he allows us to.

We were shocked the first time we went away on vacation and he attacked the neighbor boy who was supposed to feed him. Not only did he attack him (and draw blood), he growled at him through the window for almost a year afterwards.  He continues to growl at the people who care for him when we are away.  My adult neighbor got scratched too, but he was very vocal that it was HIS fault.  I guess Snowball was warning him and he didn't listen.  Guard Cats certainly do exist!  :)