Alistair Has Issues

avalondreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a cat from a woman 2 years ago. His name is Alistair and what ever happened with his previous owner has him living in constant fear. I've done my best to get him out of that mindset. He only loves and trusts me. As of late he has been peeing on my bed. It's not a territory thing or a uti, so I'm at a loss. I tried feliaway, giving him his own space away from his sisters, opening the litter boxes. Most of the time when he does pee, he does it right in front of me. It could be because he's crazy. I'm debating on getting him medicated for his anxiety. Any ideas on how to stop the peeing?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like an anxiety /comfort behaviour but it is always worth consulting with a vet to make sure there is nothing physical behind the problem.  It is sad that he continues to present as an anxious cat with difficulty trusting and relaxing with people and he is very lucky to have found a new home with you.  

If the peeing on your bed is a recent behaviour try to think of any changes in the home, or with lifestyle and paterns of things around your cat.  Even the slightest change could upset him greatly, and peeing on personal things like clothing or beds can be quite comforting for a stressed cat.  This could be a change in working shifts, furniture moving about or being replaced, or changing how something smells e.g with new washing powder  (see link to article below).

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered

If you have other cats in your home his behaviour could relate to changes in the larger social group's behaviours and roles, or illness in another cat as much as any changes with you, or seeing other cats or animals around the home or their scents being brought in by others.  

If your cat is constantly anxious I am a believer that long term use of Feliway can help, I used it for almost a year when I adopted Mouse as he was so skittish, and similarly with the two taby cats I had before when I moved them between my home and another place while my flat was renovated - before, during and then several months after the return.  You can also enhance by spot spraying where the peeing is taking place (after thorough enzyme cleaning).

I wish you and your cat well and that you are able to find a solution to his behaviour, preferably without medication however what ever is needed for him to feel safe and comfortable.