Algebra

glentheman20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, don't know if you solved it or not, but here's a general approach to this type of problem. One things for sure; you WILL see the dreaded train question again at some point (they just love trains for some reason)!

The first thing to note is that they are asking you for the speed of both trains, so automatically you know you have two unknowns, and so you need two equations to solve it.

The part that started to confuse me was all the units, so you should quickly note what units you will be dealing with. You have miles/hr, miles, and hours involved.

Now set up what the variables will stand for; in this case, you already know that you're looking for the speeds so it's straightforward: A = speed of train A, B = speed of train B. In some cases you will solve for something they didn't directly ask for, like time, and plug it back in to get your answer.

There are two statements that give you info, so there's a good chance that each one stands for an equation. Looking at the first one:
Train A leaves the station at noon and Train B leaves the station at 2:00 going 50mph faster than Train A

The fact that train B leaves later is significant, but only for the second equation. This was a big confusing, as I was trying to find a way to incorporate this info in the first equation. However, the important thing to pull out is that train B travels 50 mph faster than train A, so the first equation is:
B = A +50. Always make sure units match; in this case, A and B are in units of mph, so adding the 50 mph here works.

Now you take the second statement:
One hour later at 3:00 Train B is 10 miles from Train A

What I saw right away is that the second equation would somehow be in the form of B=A-10. "Train B is..." translates as "B=...." But once again, units must match, so to get the equation in units of miles, you have to multiply the rate by the time (mile/hr * hr = miles). So, after train B travels for 1 hour (2:00 - 3:00), at it's rate, it will be 10 miles behind train A, which has been traveling for 3 hours (12:00 - 3:00).
B*1 hour = A*3hours - 10 miles

Two equations, two unknowns. Now substitute the first equation into the second so you will have everything in terms of A or B (doesn't matter which).

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always got stuck at setting the equation up--especially on trains, planes, boats, etc. Drawing a table helped me, just to put it in more of a format I could comprehend.

vinceneilsgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I am so frustrated with this. Algebra..... Summer semester just started and all I am taking is my college algebra course. I had to start at the very beginning of math when I started taking college classes. Basic Math, Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, passed all of those somehow with A's and now I have College Algebra. I can not do it.
No matter what, I just can't get it. I swear I have some sort of mathematic learning disability and it frustrates me to no end. I am a good student, I pay attention in class, do all homework and even extra practice problems. I originally signed up for college algebra last semester but withdrew from it after a month. (after the refund drop deadline) my teacher wasn't great and I was becomming more confused in class than I was learning anything. I decided to take it summer term by itself so I didn't have to juggle work for another class with it. We are working on solving quadratic equations by completing the square and stuff like that and the next section is word problems. I began ok with the quadratic equations but the word problems, forget it. I have had help with them many times by teachers, friends, etc. Still, whenever I read one I have no idea where to begin. My mind just doesn't think that way. Everytime I try it I get so frustrated it brings me to tears
How do people do this stuff
It wouldn't be so bad if it was over after this class, but I know you need algebra for chemistry and my entrance exam for the nursing program consists of many word problems for the math section. I feel like I am doomed

Sorry if this is just dumb to be so upset about, I just needed to get it out, I try so hard
Actually, you may have a math learning disability. I have one. It's called dyscalculia. It's like dyslexia, only with numbers instead of letters. And it has nothing to do with how smart you are....my IQ is 160. It has to do with the way your brain processes numerical information. You should talk to your advisor about getting tested.

kateang

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok.. given the problem.. here's how it goes..

let X be the speed of train A and has been travelling for 3 hrs
therefore X+50 is the speed of train B and has been travelling for 1 hr

speed x time= distance

therefore

(X+50)1 - (X)3 = 10
X+50-3X= 10
40= 3X-X
40=2X
20=X

therefore speed of train A is 20mph and speed for train B is X+50=70mph

hope it helps!

glentheman20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember that train B will be 10 miles behind, so the 10 should be negative. This actually brings up a very important step when doing these problems; when you arrive at your final answers, plug them back in to the equation to see if they work out.

So, in this example, if Train A travels at 20 mph for 3 hr, it travels 60 miles.

If Train B travels at 70 mph for 1 hour, it travels 70 miles.

However, this would mean that at 3:00 Train B is 10 ahead of Train A, which contradicts the givens. Ideally you would go back and evaluate your equations. To be honest, in a test situation with limited time, there have been times when I just started flipping positive/negative signs and see what comes out. Not recommended

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You guys are awesome. I got it. I was able to work another 'mixture' word problem last night, all by myself might I add. I had some trouble with one that had to do with a boat traveling downstream and upstream and figuring out the current last night, and my teacher couldn't stay late last night so I am still clueless on it. But tomorrow night is the test on this chapter
I plan to do alot of practicing tonight

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

But tomorrow night is the test on this chapter
I plan to do alot of practicing tonight
GOOD LUCK - remember to take a deep breath when reading the question and remain calm - sounds simple but it really helps to remain calm!!! (if that makes sense
)