Algebra is stupid

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

I loved Algebra!! I can still recite the pathagoryan theorum sadly enough... What was AWFUL was trig!!! I never was good at that.
Originally Posted by kluchetta

My favorite is the quadratic formula!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrat...dratic_formula
I could remember the formula but not the name. Now, if you can remember that one your a true math geek. Pythagoreans theorem is good to...and very handy at times!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

wow - that brings back memories!! In the 7th grade when I took Algebra 1 my teacher made up a SONG for that... I can still sing it...
My dad used to tell me horror stories about having to "prove" the quadratic formula in high school. He said it involved 100 steps. I asked him to do it for me but he conveniently always had something else to do!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use it every day in my science classes, especially my analytical chemistry classes.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Why the heck cant you just say 1500 Divided by 200 = 7.5?? I dont mind algebra but the way things are worded to make it harder is silly! When I was in my algebra classes I switched everything they gave me into the way I saw it! hence 200* x =1500, I know I can say 1500/200 =7.5!
Sorry...just trying to show how simple algebra can be applied in everyday life.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!

I always struggled with math, even in college. My strength were anything else, anything at all! Let me write a 40 page essay anyday over doing math of any type. I am fine with math in my career and in my life, I think I just made it harder than it should have been, overthinking things is something I have been known to do.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always aced math with no problem, but as for doing some of that.... making it harder than it really is... I was too busy with friends in high school to make things harder than they are!