Alex - new cat - nipping at me when I leave the room

shaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, sorry for the long post, I didn't want to leave anything out.

This is my second post, my first one was here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263156/frekles-and-alex

When I decied to keep Alex, we went to the vet in Freckles carrier, and then we came home, I had no idea that I have have Alex right away, I don't know why I thought the vet would keep her over night.

At home, I put her into the bathtub in the carrier and closed the door so Freckles wouldn't see him. He was very upset in the carrier, so I shut the light off then he was throwing himself around in the carrier. So I turned the light back on. I assume it had something to do with where he came from.  I set up the large dog cage, in my "work/sewing" room, and put him in that, so I can prepare the room for him. I had a back up litter box, and lots of food.

Now he has the run of the room, and Ieave the large cage there, and open with the litter box in it, so when the time comes for the two to meet, they haven't yet, sort of, Alex will be in the closed cage.

Basicly, I have had a special door build for the room, it looks like a babygate for the door frame, or a ladder with hinges with small spaces between boards, and fro the first 3 feet there is a blanket covering the slats in the door so they can't see each other.

First week - I let Alex, get used to the place - no issues.

Second week   - Freckles started growling at the door/blanket, I would pick her up and tell her it is ok, but with her, I think she thought I was praising her. So I told her no after that.

Thrid week - I have been feeding each of them at the same time on teh other side of the doors, and Alex has been putting his paws through the slats in the door, and he is a climber, he climbs up to the top of the door frame. End of the week, I got the ok, that Alex has no parisites in his poo, but to keep watch, for tape worm pieces, the lady down the street said he might have lung worms, because of his one eye. The vet wrote the eye off as a poor eye duct. The lady down the road has 8 rescue cats and has been doing this longer then the vet. I started giving him diatoumaous earth - food grade- an eighth of  teaspoon every day in his food, in four days, his stomach lost a lot of his distention. Alex started to climb to the top of the door, and Freckles does growl at him when he manages to move the cloth from the bottom of the door and stick his face to the door to look out.

Fourht week - They are more or less used to each eating on the others side of the door. Freckles seems to tolerate him, this way and when he cries. Plus she has seen him climb to the top of the door frame on the other side. I have no idea what she thinks.

The first three nights he cried every night and all night, the fourth night, he had a temper tantrum and pushed everythign and anythign he could find, off of shelves, including moving my sewing machine several inches. Since then, I  go to sleep, but when I wake to go pee at either 2 or 3 in the morning, he started to cry and does so for the rest of the night. So I am pretty tired.

Daily Vists Times - I was visiting him 4 and 5 times a day, but have that down to 3 times now, in the morning8/9 am, around 4/5 pm  and then right before bed 9/10 pm. He is in a room, with a window - always open, he has a bed, food and litter and toys.

Anytime I go upstairs to use the washroom, he hears me and starts crying again. At least I thnk its crying. It sure sounds like it to me. It is so hard to hear him cry, I have almost peed myself by not goign to the washroom, so he won't start crying. I wait until the last minute to go.

Actual Visits- when I visit him, he is always purring to greet me, and loves to just circle me and loves to be petted. He loves to play and he has an arrangment of toys, is favourite is string, he will pick that up in his mouth and carry it all over the place. The string  is cotten string attached to a ball with a bell in it, and then attached to a stick. He loves the string. I always read to him, and the visit are at least half an hour to an hour. He likes to plop himself down and just be, and cuddle and genreally he likes me to just be there. Even if he is looking out the window, at teh window's edge. I have taken in  a towel there a few times, and laid on teh floor to have a nap, its hard on me, but he likes it.

Behaviour -  what started a few days ago, 3 days ago, is that I think he wants out. At first he started to claw my cloths when I was leaving.He as standing up at the door as I was closing it. Second, he nipped me, I thought he was trying to bit my shorts to keep me in the room. I should mention, that when we have played that when he grabs my hand to hold it and not really bit me, but bit me - I have assumed it is what I have heard others call a love bite, I have said "ouch" "ouch" a few times and he stopped right away each time. Again when I was leaving he was standing up when I was leaving.  Today-thridly- when we were playing, he started to get rough for the first time and he was rough with the 'love bits' and when I said "ouch" he did stop, and then I was leaving and he started to 'love bit' my leg, and I said "ouch" and he stopped, but today there were not little nips, they were full wide open mouth bits. And again he was standing up at the door. I think he really really wants out. its been a full month he has been in that room.

Help with the above behaviour - would be greatly appreacited.

Generally - Alex is eating like a pig, he has put on only a small amount of weight, and he drinks an entire bowl of water in a 24 hour period. Before the diatoumaous earth, his poo's would knock over a horse the smell was so bad, it has gotten better and he poops twice a day, and once or twice during the night.

I am also giving Freckles the diatomous earth.

I am told after three months of the diatomous earth, it will also clear up lung worm by the lady down the street.

Integration - Right now I'm 'curring' a blanket that Freckles is sleeping on, so I can let Alex have it, now that he has at least been generally wormed cleared by the vet.  So hopefully I can get them used to each other's scents, but I will admit that I am nervous at them going to meet and Alex's behaviour is a concern to  me, and it break my heart to hear him cry, and I desperately need some sleep.

Overall - Alex, seems to be a very loving and attention giving cat and I hate that he is alone in the room, and he is also everything that Freckles is not, so I dont' know if she will be jealous or not.

If you made it this far, then HUGS HUGS HUGS  - I know this is long, but wanted to make sure that you/everyone got the full picture. THANKS

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he's ready to be out in the house.  You could put Freckles in the room and let Alex out to roam.  However, I think Alex has been confined enough and needs to be introduced face to face without the gate.  There will be hissing, growling, some working out of the dominance issue, but supervise them.  Put Alex in the room at night and while you're not home for a few more days.  Once they can get along together, then Alex will have full run of the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I apologize for not getting back sooner, Thanks.

I had also planned to post an update, or start another tread on how the introduction of these two are going, on a day to day basis. However, two things happened:

1. I lost the sheet I wrote on, its still a struggle, and the older one is still hissing and a couple of swats,

2. And yesterday when I was sitting down at the computer  to log in, I had the paper then, Alex laid in front of me on the desk and between me and the keyboard, and this huge honking flea came out. The vet 'cleared' him of fleas. He didn't clear him very well.

So now, soooooo Alex went back into his room,  I remembered where I read somewhere about this: (I will also post this where ever fleas go)

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_fleas.html

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_fleas.html

So Alex got a dust bath, right away, and his bed was dusted. I changed cloths, had a shower, and then had to go out.

In the evening, I went to visit him, the D. Earth is working because as soon as I sat with Alex that bloodly huge honking flea landed on me, I couldn't catch it, so I don't know where it went. Me once again, change cloths, and shower. 

So today, this morning he is making all kinds of noise, whining, that he wants out, but I have to dust- lay the D.Earth down in the house first and the other cat first, for all I know she has them,I have to assume she does, but a look over isn't showing anything, but if its eggs, it won't,  at teh same time they have been are both fighting  over the top on the cat condo, carpet. Soo its going to be a long day!

Add dust to the house, do Freckles, check Alex - groans, plus I have to find a reasonable priced lawyer!!  by calling around!