Aldi's

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aldis was the reason my bestie was happy to move back here a few years ago. She does almost all her shopping there. Its out of my way but we’ve gone a few times. Noodles loved the bed I got her (aka: a cardboard box with 3 high sides) for about a day before she peed in it. :cringe: (She was on a diuretic.) I keep thinking we should try it again. My mother stops regularly for produce and things like that.

We just got a Lidl in the last year or so but that’s even more out of my way.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You get your quarter back though! When you return the cart. And if you don't have a quarter you can ask the clerk and they'll give you one. They only do it to get people to return the carts themselves so they don't have to make employees fetch the carts, and to incentivize customers to not leave the carts rolling around the parking lot.
DS was so fascinated with that the first time we went he had this little old lady just tickled with his reaction. :lol: She even gave him a quarter. I guess it pays to be cute.😏

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an ALDI a couple of miles away, and we get 90% of our groceries there. The only things we don't get are those things that they don't routinely carry. Living on fixed incomes like we are, we have to save where we can, and the local supermarket is way more expensive.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, but not positive, that there is a relationship between Trader Joes and Aldi's.... not certain, but I think I read that some where..

No Aldi's near me... but Trader Joes is my go to... and the local Market Basket Chain..

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, but not positive, that there is a relationship between Trader Joes and Aldi's.... not certain, but I think I read that some where..

No Aldi's near me... but Trader Joes is my go to... and the local Market Basket Chain..
There is a connection.........sort of. The parent companies of each were founded by the 2 sons of the original Aldi who argued and split into separate entities and went their own way, but there is no financial or managerial connection otherwise.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somewhere on the Internet, I read about the two Aldi companies. While we only have Aldi's operated by Aldi Sud in the US, the two in Germany can be differentiated by slightly different colors in their logos, although they remain very similar.

The Trader Joe's connection is a surprise to me. There are Trader Joe's stores around here, too. I didn't like them too much, either.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even with no joint ownership/management, they must use a lot of the same suppliers for their store brands, because there are some things I'm pretty sure are the same. The maple cookies are, for sure. The hummus seems like the same too. TJ's has "quirkier" stuff in general though.

I wish Aldi had the bagged nut mix selection that TJ's has. I always stock up on the Omega 3 mix when I go to Omaha.