Aldi's

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did a quick search to see if there was a thread on Aldi's, but couldn't find anything. Does anybody go to Aldi's? What are your favorite things to buy there?

We hadn't been there in years, so when they remodeled the store, we decided to check it out. Not bad! Yesterday we tried a pizza from there. It wasn't bad at all. Brought it home and threw it into the oven. It had a very thin crust, which I didn't care for, but the taste was good. We also tried an off-label Cheez-it type cracker that we liked. Unfortunately, Mollipop must have better taste buds than we do because she wouldn't touch the piece of cracker. And she loves, loves, loves her Cheez-its.

We're going to throw a couple Trader Joe's bags in the back of the car so that we have them for visits to Aldi's. Anybody else go there?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We shop Aldi fairly regularly, especially for snacks for the kids. I don't drink a often, but when I want a cheap wine, their Moscatos are delicious!

Anything they offer limited quantities of are usually good, too. Seasonal stuff, etc.

I often buy my basic spices and baking supplies there, ground turkey, pork sausage patties, yogurts, cheeses, and lunch meats.

Their wet cat food is also enjoyed by my picky kitty ;)

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have the best and most affordable milk, half and half, eggs, butter, and cheese. I also like their produce, especially the avocados, and nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate. I don’t like their packaged and canned food such as cereals, crackers, cookies, chips, baking supplies, broths, and canned vegetables. I’d rather go to Walmart for those items. I also don’t care for their meat except the salmon is good.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I'm on an Aldi "aisle of shame" Facebook page, lol. That's about the aisle in Aldi with all the random stuff they have for a limited time (officially named the "Aldi Finds" aisle).

I don't shop there very often. I mostly go in to restock on chocolate (they have the best chocolate!) and end up getting more than I intended. Besides the chocolate, I like their frozen pizzas, the cheese/hummus/dip section, some of the produce, and the store-brand packaged stuff (like crackers). I've never gotten meat there, though. Oh, and their canned foods seem comparable to the brand names too.

Supposedly the wine is good but I don't drink wine.

My friend, who grew up with her family shopping at Aldi said: "it's really changed! It used to be the "grandma on food stamps" store but now it's all trendy and stuff!" :lol:

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I do shop Aldi, mostly for fresh fruit and vegetables. Their quality is good and prices far lower than other chain grocers. I have tried some packaged products but haven’t found any I love or would buy again.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My friend, who grew up with her family shopping at Aldi said: "it's really changed! It used to be the "grandma on food stamps" store but now it's all trendy and stuff!" :lol:
:yeah: I completely agree! We have an Aldi's not too far but I never went there before. Then a friend told me how much she liked it since it changed so I gave it a try and love it but only for certain items, mostly fresh fruit and veggies. DH likes their chicken kievs w/broccoli and some of the seasonal items. He tried their garlic & cheese flatbread but said it was so greasy it grossed him out.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Aldi's, but hardly ever go now. They remodeled the store in our town and the prices went up immediately after. I do love some of their food, like the canned clam chowder. I can make homemade, but IMHO, I'd rather have theirs or Campbell's. Why mess with perfection? :lol:

We have a popular, pricey little ice cream store in town. I saw some of their employees stocking up on milk at Aldi's. Guessing they were buying it to make the ice cream, which is pretty great stuff.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Aldi. I enjoy their weekly specials because it's always random stuff that is sometimes stuff that I actually need. Anytime they sell water filters I buy a bunch to stock up.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't, but my sister buys online for delivery and says their stuff is pretty good. We have one not too far from where I live, but I was only in there once and haven't been back.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop there all the time.I have to say I've yet to find anything that I've been unhappy with.I have bought so many different things over the last few years from their beef tenderloin to my crackers,bagels,hubby's whole wheat bread,butter and cream cheese,fat free half and half....I could go on.They have a nice assortment of cheeses this time of year...bought an interesting chunk of cheddar aged in a cave in New Hampshire.Found a chocolate/hazelnut bar last week from Austria...to die for and very reasonable.My thoughts from the store here in my town is that they have really stepped up their game and I like it!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add that to the list of stores that are not near me. The closest one is about 30 minutes away. It's in a not very good area so I haven't been there. Hopefully we will get one here someday. I've never seen one in person. same with:

Costco
Whole Foods
Trader Joe's

The closest locations for all of these is 65 miles south or 80 miles north.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to drive 30 minutes to shop at all, lol. Well, ok, a nearby small town (10 miles away) has a little grocery store but the prices are jacked way up; anybody who's able to drive prefers to go to a bigger town for shopping. If I had decent stores nearby, maybe I wouldn't bother to go out of my way to Aldi, I'm not sure. But Sioux Falls has 3 of them now, and I think they're planning a 4th one too, so they're pretty conveniently located.

There's no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods closer than Omaha though, sadly. I probably wouldn't shop at Whole Foods much because of the prices, but I do love TJ's.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's one nearby, but I hardly go there. They have good prices on some items they loss-leader, but not everything. Some items are dreadful (green beans that are mostly water and stems, or their positively awful mettwurst). Other items are really good (packaged frozen ravioli), but they drop them and they're never to be seen again. I need something more reliable if I'm going to make a trip there.

Aldi's biggest competitor, Lidl, has been opening stores in this country. I generally liked Lidl better when I visited Germany. I hope they come to my area.

They've remodeled their store recently. Maybe I should try shopping there again.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally liked Lidl better when I visited Germany.
Lidl's is my go-to grocery store. Their fresh vegetables are very good, and their house brands tend to be good to very good, though sometimes they change suppliers and prices and quality can change. There are things they don't sell and I have to go to other grocery stores every once in a while.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer Aldi over other grocery stores. We have one small grocery store in our village, but it does not have a lot of variety and the prices tend to be a bit higher. I try only to do small shops or "I need it but cannot drive elsewhere right now" buys." (The village has a decent cost of living other than our grocery store!) To go to any real store, we have to drive 25-30 minutes to one of the three larger cities near us. It is worth the drive, though. I get all my staples there and most of my extras. I cannot think of anything I have not liked. I especially like the rice they sell. Sadly, they have been out every time I have gone for the last four months.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, I really hate checking out at ALDIs. Usually I don’t have a cart because you have to pay for one so I am juggling my potential purchases while I wait in very long lines to checkout. Poor cashiers seem to barely have time to breath they are so busy.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lidl's is my go-to grocery store. Their fresh vegetables are very good, and their house brands tend to be good to very good, though sometimes they change suppliers and prices and quality can change. There are things they don't sell and I have to go to other grocery stores every once in a while.
You're in central Illinois, aren't you? I thought Lidl's stores were only in the east. Maybe there's hope they'll open some around Detroit.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Aldi, but always end up in the middle buying stuff I don't need! :lol: I prefer the bakery and chocolate at Lidl, but Aldi is best for fruit and veg IMO.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually I don’t have a cart because you have to pay for one
You get your quarter back though! When you return the cart. And if you don't have a quarter you can ask the clerk and they'll give you one. They only do it to get people to return the carts themselves so they don't have to make employees fetch the carts, and to incentivize customers to not leave the carts rolling around the parking lot.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
You're in central Illinois, aren't you? I thought Lidl's stores were only in the east. Maybe there's hope they'll open some around Detroit.
I'm in NC. We were some of the first to get Lidl's in the US.