Aldi's

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we dont ussually shop at Aldi's.. all of us in the household work at Wal-mart, so its just easier to grab a few items we need when we clock out... around the holidays we got a 10% discount on all items in the store.. normally we dont get the discount on groceries (except fresh produce).

My mom shopped there when I was in school.. I HATED when she shopped there because they dont have the bags.. she'd just put the stuff loose in the cart as she checked out, put it back in the car loose, and grab some empty boxes, she also saved bags from trips to the "regular" stores.. she'd make us go out and pack up the groceries and bring them in the house.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They also rarely have produce out, the few times I've been there. Last night was no exception. I saw a few apples and one bag of potatoes. No other produce was in that section.
Again, I'm amazed. This leads me to think that not all Aldi stores are created equal.

Here, the majority of the stocking is done before the store opens (on truck days that means a manager in the store at 5 a.m., another employee at 6 a.m.). The cooler and freezer are stocked during the day, because those trucks make their deliveries during store hours.

Produce is worked several times during the day; there are never any 'outs' unless the store is actually out of that item. If the supervisor sees an 'out' he raises the roof. I've never known our store to be out of dairy items unless the warehouse has a problem getting those items from the manufacturer. On the rare occasion that milk is running low (and our store does carry skim) the supervisor has been known to head for the closest Aldi (which is 20 miles away) and load his car with milk to carry the store over until the truck arrives.

Seriously, either someone doesn't know how to order properly or the warehouse that serves your store has a buyer that isn't doing his/her job right. I guess I'm a little biased, but our store runs like a well-oiled machine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

After reading this thread I just had to go to Aldi's. Been there a few times, but it isn't convenient, they dont carry everything I need, and they are located in very high crime areas.

So...I went last night. They do not turn on the lights in the parking lot or their sign to save money. It was VERY dark - so dark I could not find the quarter slot for the carts. It is in a sketchy neighborhood already so I had trouble with this dark thing.

THey did not have cheese, chicken, milk, eggs or yogurt - common staples I buy every week. The meat products available I looked at were more expensive than at local chain. Since they were out of typical stuff that means I have to go to yet another store, something I'd like to avoid.

I did buy skin care items and spaghetti sauce after reading about them here LOL. I found 100 packet Splenda for $3.99 which is a good price, but not great price (same price as Walmart). I assume Aldi does not take coupons which is a shame since I had Splenda coupons.

I did end up spending $77 there so I did find enough to stock up on.

Has anyone tried the clumping cat litter there? How is it?

The employees were very nice to me and the customers were polite and nice as well. That was the highpoint of my Aldi experience.
Maybe because our's in a newer store, it is better. I got 3 kinds of yogurt last time I was there. The whipped raspberry yogurt is yummy! I regularly buy half gallons of 2% milk and chocolate milk.

Tripod "requires" very fine cat litter. For obvious reasons I buy the kind he likes, so I haven't bought any from Aldi's.

What skin care product did you buy and did you like it?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Again, I'm amazed. This leads me to think that not all Aldi stores are created equal.

Here, the majority of the stocking is done before the store opens (on truck days that means a manager in the store at 5 a.m., another employee at 6 a.m.). The cooler and freezer are stocked during the day, because those trucks make their deliveries during store hours.

Produce is worked several times during the day; there are never any 'outs' unless the store is actually out of that item. If the supervisor sees an 'out' he raises the roof. I've never known our store to be out of dairy items unless the warehouse has a problem getting those items from the manufacturer. On the rare occasion that milk is running low (and our store does carry skim) the supervisor has been known to head for the closest Aldi (which is 20 miles away) and load his car with milk to carry the store over until the truck arrives.

Seriously, either someone doesn't know how to order properly or the warehouse that serves your store has a buyer that isn't doing his/her job right. I guess I'm a little biased, but our store runs like a well-oiled machine.
Yeah LIbby, after reading your posts I was inspired. The few other times I had been there the "good" items - as in basics everyone uses - have been out. I've been there on weekends and now a Monday night and it has been the same. I dont know if they just sell too fast - BUT after several tries over 1-2 years, it is clear that the store will never have milk, cheese, chicken, or produce I would want. In fact, before last night, I never spent even $20 there - b/c there was "nothing" to buy of interest for me. Cereal and spices are the only items that are always stocked. Everything else is hit or miss and I cant count on anything. They were even out of sugar last night!

I have ;heard good things about Aldi's from many posts on many boards - I'm probably more disappointed than necessary for that reason.

That, and the dark tucked away parking lot in a neighborhood that has a shooting or stabbing murder 2-5xs/mn on average and rampant gang activity kinda scares me a bit.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What skin care product did you buy and did you like it?
The OP mentioned the day cream which I saw as well but I bought the facial cleanser. I have the bottle at home so I cant tell you offhand which one it is. I think they have a few "formulas". My usual cleanser cost $18 (Origins). This was $2.99, has packaging that reminds of Mary Kay, and my skin has not been this smooth in a long time. I'm pleased so far.

I'll probably try the night cream next. I was stocked for now and their day cream didn't seem to have sunscreen which I require.

I'm also sensitive and feel no problem with this product - which is hard to do.