Airport travel experiences

piestealer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have unfortunately no choice but to travel with my cat during the holidays. I've been getting him used to the come with me kitty harness so I'll be more comfortable in security, and he tolerates it really well. Today I realized there is metal on the harness! I've looked online for anything metal-free but even fabric harnesses have metal attachments for the leash. Will the small amount on the harness that Max will wear set it off?

Another question is about sedating him. My vet gave me acepromazine but when I gave him the test dose he really didn't like it. He didn't sleep at all until it wore off, he would just move drunkenly from sleeping spot to sleeping spot and meow sadly (I felt horrible). I'm thinking about not using the medication or using only 1/3 of the dose I gave him at home. Hopefully that would make it easier for him to sleep but not be enough to make him feel so out of it. Does anyone else have any ideas? He's a really anxious cat, so I already have and will be sure to use feliway and zylkene but even those don't seem to have much effect to him.

Oh, and he will be in the cabin with me.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have unfortunately no choice but to travel with my cat during the holidays. I've been getting him used to the come with me kitty harness so I'll be more comfortable in security, and he tolerates it really well. Today I realized there is metal on the harness! I've looked online for anything metal-free but even fabric harnesses have metal attachments for the leash. Will the small amount on the harness that Max will wear set it off?

Another question is about sedating him. My vet gave me acepromazine but when I gave him the test dose he really didn't like it. He didn't sleep at all until it wore off, he would just move drunkenly from sleeping spot to sleeping spot and meow sadly (I felt horrible). I'm thinking about not using the medication or using only 1/3 of the dose I gave him at home. Hopefully that would make it easier for him to sleep but not be enough to make him feel so out of it. Does anyone else have any ideas? He's a really anxious cat, so I already have and will be sure to use feliway and zylkene but even those don't seem to have much effect to him.

Oh, and he will be in the cabin with me.
I have never been asked to go through the x-ray scanner with a cat. You will most likely be asked to step to one side where you will be asked to take your cat out and they will wand him and you. My cat wore a harness with some metal and a metal ID tag no problem. I would not sedate. Buy a bottle of water after TSA and put a small clean feeding type syringe in your cats carrier pocket. This is insurance that you will have water for your cat should you get stuck for a while. Winter weather. Keep your cats carrier under your seat and covered if need be. When you arrive put your cat in a room by himself to let him decompress. This is more important than anything as you want him to toilet, eat and drink on his own.

Some viva paper towels under then matt in the carrier are a good idea in case he urinates. Withhold food for a few hours before you leave to avoid having him throw up.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never flown with a cat, but I don't think you will have a problem with security, either. Don't even try to put him through the scanner; just hand him off to an agent for a check. I have sedated a cat for a car trip, and it worked like a charm. You might try a smaller dose before you go to see if it just makes him sleepy.

KittensMom gave you some excellent tips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piestealer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for responding! I would never put him through the scanner but I was told I would have to walk through a metal detector with him.

piestealer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Sometimes it's good to hear that. I'be been worrying about how to keep him as calm as I can during this trip and I think it's time to make plans how to keep me calm too! Max will meow loudly probably until security and then realize he would much rather be in his carrier and settle down.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Sometimes it's good to hear that. I'be been worrying about how to keep him as calm as I can during this trip and I think it's time to make plans how to keep me calm too! Max will meow loudly probably until security and then realize he would much rather be in his carrier and settle down.
I have been on flights where the adults should have been told to shut up. Screaming nasty kids. Kicking the back of your seat. You paid your air fare and your cats and you have a right to be there just like anyone else.

piestealer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to update this in case someone else finds it while searching for acepromazine. I talked to my vet about Max's reaction and she said it sounds like he was "fighting" the sedative which would only stress him more on the flight. She offered to try a different medication so we are test dosing gabapentin. So far this medication (gabapentin) is 1000x better than acepromazine. Max has not lost his coordination, though he is slower than normal, he's very sleepy, but acts and responds normally when I interact with him. I tried running the vacuum and taking him for a walk in his carrier and though he was fearful during those activities he recovered almost immediately when they were over. I'm so glad I asked my vet if there was any alternative.