Airplane Flight

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, I'm scared. To death. Petrified is more the word.

Rick got his paperwork for the trustees/executive board meeting in Oregon in September. He'll be gone a week. I promised him I'd go with him! I promised! I hate flying. The last time I flew was to Vegas in the mid-90s and I swore then that I would never, ever again touch a plane. But I promised. And he's so looking forward to me going with him this time. We're going to rent a car and drive up into Washington. Check out the old-growth forests (I've always wanted to visit the old-growth forests). There's this really neat used book store in Portland (if I buy books, I can just have them shipped home). And Voodoo Donuts....he's so looking forward to having a Voodoo Donut. Walking. Seeing the coast (I've never seen the Pacific Ocean).

And the Pacific Northwest is one of the areas that I've always wanted to see. Rick goes to Oregon about three times a year for meetings and he's done some of this stuff. But I haven't and he really wants to share it with me. Not a co-hort. Me.

But the plane. *sigh* When I promised to go with him, that was back in March. Who knew that the time would get here so quickly? He has to make the reservations and such now. And once that's done, I'm committed to go (or I should be committed to the local mental health ward for agreeing to go).

I don't know if there's enough drugs and alcohol in the universe to get me on that plane.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, it sounds like a fantastic trip and maybe a chance to overcome your fear of flying.   Flying is less dangerous than driving a car.   Maybe you can get a  mild tranquilizer from your dr ---  but pls don't miss this opportunity for a wonderful trip.   Oh - I just realized something - once you get over your fear of flying then you can fly down here to Florida?  Is it a deal?  Angel, Tony and Tippy want to meet you!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree about the Doc prescribed tranq :nod: what is it about flying that unnerves you?

I'm booked to go to Denver at the end of July and I've flown to both Alaska and Hawaii so it's not the flying that scares me, it's going by myself that is twisting me up, I feel like a 10 year flying by herself instead a 34 year old adult :rolleyes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, I had the WORST fear of flying - absolutely, positively freaked out at the thought of getting into a plane. SO my doc prescribed an anxiety medication and it got me back in the air once again. It really did work and I would recommend you going to the doctor now and find something that you will feel comfortable taking. I now can fly without taking anything!!!!!!!!! AND that is a true miracle if you knew how terrified I was. I bet you can do this and it will be SO good for you to make it through this flying fear. You will be so proud. Remember, driving is more dangerous than flying!! See to me, it was the claustrophobia issue. Not being able to get OFF or OUT of the plane that panics me. It was debilitating. ANyway, not sure what it is that frightens you, but it really will be alright :alright: IF you can take something, OH an a little drink won't hurt either!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I think part of it is a control thing. Maybe if I was flying the plane, I'd feel better?
 Well, you know what I mean.

I'm just scared that the plane is going to go down.....plain and simple. And I'm not ready to die. And yes, I know how stupid that sounds. It's also going to Harrisburg, boarding a puddle-jumper, then to Charlotte, then to Chicago for a multi-hour layover, then to Portland. It's the whole thing really. Even the very idea of boarding a plane makes me nauseous. Especially since 2001, but I didn't want to fly before that either. I don't want to leave the cats alone for a whole week, it's really difficult for me to get a whole week off work at one time; the last time I did that was when we drove to Chicago a few years ago. And really, excuses, excuses, excuses....even I can see that. I'm a neurotic mess. Planes crash, it's that simple.

Several years ago, we were coming home from South Carolina and we went on a ferry to get to Ocracoke, NC. Once I no longer saw land, I started pacing. And pacing. And pacing. I paced around on that ferry so much that I probably put marks in the floor. I think the ferry trip was about an hour or so. And honestly, had I had to wait five more minutes before seeing land again, I think I would have jumped in the water and started swimming. That's why I won't go on a cruise. I don't know how I could deal without seeing land from the ship at all.

Rick and I had a long talk tonight after dinner. He said that if I don't go, he'll be sad because he really wants me to go with him. But the decision is really up to me and he doesn't want me to go just because he wants me to go.

Lana, we drove to Florida years ago and I see no reason why we wouldn't do it again. And I'd truly love to meet you and Paul in person.....and get to meet those darling furkids of yours! I drive all over the place and don't think a thing about that. Midwest, Canada, Florida, all over the south, all over New England. Not a biggie at all. But a plane? I even asked Rick about the possibility of driving to Oregon, that's how desperate I am.

I have a doctor appt for a blood pressure check and weight check around the middle of July....I'll talk to her, see if there's anything she might be able to prescribe for me, just for the flight out and back. It's going to have to be something really strong, that's for sure.Thanks for the suggestion, guys.

And I did tell Rick to go ahead and book the flight, that I would go. I was in tears when I said it. But I'll go.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been on a plane I remember.  Was on few times I am told.

My fear is my husband dying on them when I am not there.  I actually WANT to fly...but um I have to many cats:p

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate flying, too, but it's more of a cold sweat than petrified... I hate the airports, too, and the horrible airport food you have to eat because you are starving. Also security is a complete nightmare, at least you don't have to go through customs (and security again).

They say there are 1M people in the air at any given time (or was it 5M? - read it in an airport once) so you will have a lot of company. Really, the chances of you dying in a plane crash are miniscule. You are in more danger being exposed to the radiation in the plane plus the scanners (might want to opt out for a pat-down). When I have to fly I always think how it's better than going by covered wagon or something, lol, that trip would take a year or maybe two, so a few hours is WAY better!

Wow you have a lot of stops, too, you will spend most of your time sitting in airports instead of plane seats.

Hope you work it out! Oh yeah, don't get a seat in the back if you can help it, it's really noisy and bumpy back there. Make your husband spring for first-class, yeah that's it, cushy! YOU CAN DO IT! Good luck...

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I actually enjoy flying. I love looking out the window and see the scenery change. It's a good time to just relax and take a moment to yourself and catch up on some reading.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH Pam - that IS very brave of you that you told Rick to go ahead. I DO totally understand what you are going through and you will go back and forth on your decision, but you have to just focus on something "other" than the flights. I am sorry you have to do all of those layover's though. It totally IS a control thing with me too meaning more ... that feeling of NOT being in control and can't get out or off if I so desire. I also love to drive and use to prefer it - but really, once I dealt with the fear and overcame it, I never have any problems with it anymore. It really is true what they say about overcoming your fears. IF you can get through it a few times and tell yourself you are safe, you are with your husband, and work through the fear... the next time it is easier, and eventually you don't even have that fear anymore. At least that is what happened to me. NOW elevators - I am still working on those :lol3: I still take the stairs.

You can do this and with Rick by your side, you will be invincible. Just think about your destination in beautiful OREGON!!! It will be a well deserved vacation for both of you! Good luck at the doctor and I am sure she will be able to prescribe you something to help you through it. It worked for me!!!! :cross: :vibes::vibes:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
NOW elevators - I am still working on those
I still take the stairs.

I always take the stairs whenever I can!

Rick said last night that he feels badly for me. He knows that I'm scared to death and the fact that I told him to go ahead and set the flights up means a lot to him. And he knows that I'm going to be in a major panic attack pretty much the whole week we're gone.

We'll see what my doctor says....hopefully she can give me something strong enough to completely knock me out. And if that doesn't work, maybe the tequila will. (I'm only half kidding.)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: I am certain that your doctor will be able to offer you some options :nod: You might have to start on something "before" your trip just to make sure it will do it's job. I'm routing for you, Pam!! I do understand your fear completely. And on top of all of my fear came the anxiety of always having to say "no" to my family that I just can't make it to see them. That was always a double whammy. Now I am able to take these trips. Although, I do not go away often only because I do not like leaving my kitties and my two old dogs. But the fear, dread and panic has completely ceased. I also tell myself that being on the plane is a perfect way for me to just "DO NOTHING" :clap::clap::clap::clap: I can read, listen to music, watch a movie.... sleep.... drink :lol3: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would not want to fly while tranquilized, because then I would definitely not be in control.  The first couple times I was on a plane I was scared to death, but now it's just a hassle.  I hope you do go and enjoy the trip!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm told that Xanax is best for flying anxiety. Because it doesn't make you dopey or sleepy, it just takes the anxiety out. But of course I'm sure it affects everyone differently. And maybe you'd rather be dopey and sleepy! :D

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Another vote for talking to your doctor. :)

I'm not a fan of flying. I've been on a plane a total of four times. Twice was in bad weather. :cringe: the first time was to and from Bermuda on our honeymoon and the other time was to and from Ireland for a wedding.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, Rick made the flight arrangements, but somehow it got all messed up. We ended up on two separate flights. Now, if I have to fly, there's simply no way I'm flying by myself. Not going to happen.

So when the woman from Oregon called to ask Rick if he was really sure that's what he wanted and he realized what he had done, she cancelled the flights. At that point, we were back to square one. It turned into a huge fracus. I told him that I was willing to see about drugs, I told him that I was willing to go and that I would do everything I could to get on that plane.

It's not good enough. And sometimes I think he just expects too much. He didn't want me to take any drugs that would make me sleepy because, when we get there, he wants to do stuff that very day and if I'm groggy, I'll just want to sleep.  He wants me to be very happy and excited about this trip and really looking forward to it. Well, I am kind of looking forward to going to Oregon. Very Excited? Really looking forward to it? No. There's still that plane thing, you know.

He asked me if I was really, really, REALLY sure that I wanted to go. My response: There is no place on the face of this earth I want to visit badly enough for me to want to step foot on a plane. Ever.

And that's that. She made the flight arrangements for Rick. I'm staying home.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the messed up flights happened for a reason! I'm glad you are staying home and don't have that stress hanging over you. Two separate flights would definitely be bad, even sitting in different parts of the plane is like flying alone.

Maybe next time you guys could take a train? They are much faster than by car, and you stay on the ground. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well - maybe the mix up was meant to be :dk: I am just glad that you made up your mind and can put it behind you now. It will only happen, the plane thing, when you are ready. You can't do it for anyone else, not even Rick. :sigh: Has to be for you. I do have a friend who will never, ever fly anywhere and never has. She just refuses to take trips where she needs to fly. It is not even an option in her life and her family knows this so they never ask. They only take trips in the car. I think you made a good decision for yourself :nod: :hugs: :clap::clap: