Air Purifier to help cat with allergies?

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been looking into Air Purifiers and wonder if anyone has some feedback on them? Two years of food trials and my little two year old still has issues with Z/D and needs mometamax stuff in his ear 3 times weekly. Vet keeps saying dust mites could add to his allergies. Would this help? It would have to be $100 or less and still be efficient.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried OTC antihistamines? My vet told me to try 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of loratadine (Claritin, 10mg) once daily to help with seasonal allergies. It's done wonders for her ear and eye itchies.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best air purifier is the central air-conditioning system in your house.

Invest in the best HEPA filters you can afford. Best prices are usually from filtersfast.com.

If your environment doesn't require much heating/cooling to need much circulation, if you invest in a decent electronic thermostat you can set the fan to come on every once in a while without cooling/heating.

The tiny filters just won't have any efficiency in gallon per minute otherwise, they just don't.

What they can be good for though is white noise generators and spot cleaning, which is why people often put them in their bedroom since they'll be breathing for a good 10hrs straight in one location. Another great place for cats is to put them where their litterbox is, since this is a high dust location. The most efficient are the ionic ones, and can be found on ebay cheap now.

Don't forget though that dust mites feed on dust, and dust isn't always floating in the air. Its usually on the ground and furniture until disturbed. Vacuuming and dusting are your best bet here. So vacuum out that cat bed or tree where they hang out and floors frequently.

Personally, I'm lazy and have mostly tile (hardwood is the same), so investing in a refurb Roomba 535 model made a lot of sense. I won't vacuum every other day, but I will press a button that often to let it do its thing, heh!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ionic filters won't work. They just cause all of the allergens and dust in the air to be sent to the floor... where your cat is.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Ionic filters won't work. They just cause all of the allergens and dust in the air to be sent to the floor... where your cat is.
But since they are no longer positively charged, should remain there unlike regular dust thats stirred up when disturbed, and far easier to control with simple vacuuming. Might have to disagree with you on that one unless you have a good source study.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A small apartment here with little cross air ventilation. I cant relate to you home owners