Aimee's Vet Visit: Mammary Mass Found In Semi-feral

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi friends,
As some of you know, we brought in our semi-feral girl (now named Aimee) last week before the big storm hit NE. We let her settle in for a few days before getting her to the vet today for snap test, deflea, deworm, shots. She had been previously TNR'd by someone else at unknown age--maybe 1 or so. We know she had been pregnant at least once. We've been feeding her for about 18 mo. We already have 11 cats indoors--a lot--but we couldn't leave her out there in such bitter conditions.

Well, I heard back from the vet and while Aimee is healthy otherwise, they found a mammary mass. Vet said needle biopsies are too inaccurate, and the mass should be removed. Currently the fluid is clear, which she said is good sign at least for now, but I am just heartsick. Scared about upsetting her more with another unwanted vet visit, not sure how we are going to pay for this, and feeling so bad that she might be sick, and how far along an illness may be.
So she is coming home this afternoon (vet doesn't do surgery on Saturdays). What to do next.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, have not done this with cats, but the dog who grew up with me as my fursister developed mammary tumors in middle age. She went through several surgeries to remove the first, then recurrences. She lived to the ripe old age of almost 15, and it was not cancer that we lost her to. We had to make the Hard Decision because her arthritis was no longer responding to pain medications and she was miserable. Aimee may very well do even better, and NEVER have a recurrence!

I know what money worries are. Perhaps one of these might provide an answer:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
When You Can't Afford A Veterinarian
Financial Help For Cat Care.

There are all sorts of links to organizations that specialize in helping cats in need!