Ahhhh why is life so expensive

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Right now DH and I are lucky - we barely have any bills. Each month we pay ~$85 for cell phones, $87 for car insurance, $74 for the storage unit we'll have until the house is built, and $32 for the cat wellness plan we have (which will go back to $16 since there is only one on it now
) We also spend about $150/mo in gas to get to/from work and other travels.

We are about to feel the real strain of bills though, when our house is finished. Our estimated max mortgage payment was guesstimated at $1406/month. We are unsure of the exact payment as of right now, since the house isnt built and the interest rate hasn't been locked in yet. That payment was based on a rate of 6.5%. We do not plan on having landline phones, one less expense. We probably will have a cable tv/internet package, but it is not a necessity. We aren't sure if we will have a water bill yet or not, and we plan to try and minimize our electric bill.

Of course, our situation differs, as we both have well-paying jobs at the moment. But I believe we'll be entering a new world when that mortgage payment lands in our laps every month, and will be feeling the "strain" of not being able to just go out and buy whatever we want all the time (cars, boats, parts, unnecessary stuff, etc).
Just warning you now...it's going to hit you hard! Our budget got REALLY screwed up after we had that first mortage payment.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Just warning you now...it's going to hit you hard! Our budget got REALLY screwed up after we had that first mortage payment.
that is going to hit you hard, i dont have a mortgage payment, frankly, FH doesnt see me ever having one unless i earned 100,000 + a year!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

We are hoping our mortgage payment is down in the $1250 range (the low estimate). We have over $15,000 in a money market account, so we have back-up money in case of unexpected expenses or an unexpected impact on our budget. There is also $1,000 in savings and currently $1,800 cash in a box in our room (for when Rob gets extra money from side jobs). I really wish we had a better idea of what the real mortgage payment will be, instead of this $150+ range between high & low possibilities! I guess we wont find out until we close on the deal. Having a big bill like that monthly sure is gonna be like a smack upside the head at first though, I'm sure!

It would be SO much easier to prepare a budget if we knew what the actual payment would be!!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my mortgage payment is under $600 a month... but i have a little house - plus i live in Texas.