Ah, the joys of being single. . . (WARNING, LONG confused rant ahead)

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, perhaps I'm just too tired, but I thought I'd lay this out for you ladies, single or not, to bounce the idea around and tell me I'm not crazy for totally overanalyzing every aspect of this.

Me, 31, divorced two years from my HS 'sweetheart', lost my mom 4 mos ago, still not sure about the whole dating thing but sure I want a family someday (too busy w/school at the moment) and don't really like being alone. Not desperate, just lonely, and totally inept at dating - I can flirt like nobody's business, but I'm afraid it'll get me in trouble. Also know ZILCH about dating as I was practically engaged before I graduated high school, so haven't learned the basics of the game and feel less than a rookie most of the time.

Went out w/a girlfriend and her hubby this weekend to hear some music and (hopefully, in my case) do some dancing. Friday night, to a local bar - I live in a small town, so that could be good or bad. We met another couple they know and the five of us were having a great evening, talking, drinking, they were dancing and I was scanning the crowd hoping someone would be daring enough to ask (I know, overeager
) We were all served another round and the waitress said it was courtesy of the gentleman at the bar, who then came over and asked if I'd like to dance. Very NICE older man - like twice my age older - who was every inch the gentleman, bought our entire party another round or two, and asked if we'd like to go to breakfast after closing, his treat and his gas. We accepted, had a pleasant meal and he and I exchanged numbers, as he wanted to invite me out to go dancing or to dinner AS A FRIEND. He was very adamant about the fact that he only wanted my friendship, which made me a bit more comfortable as I'm scared STUPID of dating, in case you couldn't tell. Saturday afternoon he calls to say again that he had a good time, enjoyed our company, yadda yadda and I told him I'd definitely call him in the next couple weeks. My personal feelings: He's a very nice man, and he has the intellect and culture so many of the local residents my age are lacking. If he's truly interested in friendship, I'd like to foster that, as it's a lot easier (as a woman) to go new places and enjoy new things if you're not doing it alone all the time.

Saturday night, late, we go back to the bar, and I see that "Jim"'s car is in the parking lot - urk. I'm still ambivalent about him and had hoped I wouldn't be confronted so soon. So I let my friends lead and, purely by chance, they see two men friends of his right off, and I politely wave to Jim but make no move to approach. Polite introductions are made and we commence enjoying ourselves. Jim comes over to say hello, good to see you, I won't intrude but if you'd like to dance let me know. So after a few minutes I ask him to dance. Next dance (few songs later) I'm asked by new friend "Doug," and give a few spins around the floor. Short time later Jim says a hasty good night. Doug and I are getting to know one another, much flirting is done, and it's clear even to one with my ineptitudes that he's smitten and I"m mildly interested. But I move on a geological scale at this point in my life and tell him so, and please be patient w/me. I should mention at this point that I've had two drinks all night long and am completely clear-headed. My friends can see something's going on and are good about giving us space to chat, and when closing time rolls around I give him my number and he walks me out, and an awkward goodbye is made. I can tell he wants to kiss me, but I'm not completely comfortable with that so I keep my reserve.

So now, I've got a very nice man who may or may not be upset about me "changing partners" (:censor::censor::censor:? we just met) and a good ol' boy who is upfront about his physical attraction for me. And I'm petrified about what to do if and when the phone rings again!!! How do you ladies do it??????

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he is patient and nice and generous and .........

Just take it slow and go with your gut feelings.
If its too soon for the kiss, fine.

Just RELAX and enjoy his company.

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting story. I must say I'm surprised the older gent only wanted friendship. It's my experience that if men want to get to know you better there's always an ulterior motive present.
Perhaps introducing you to his friend had something to do with it.

I'm not the best person to ask. I'm terrible at flirting and when I do actually do it, it does get me in trouble.
So, all I can say is good luck and all the best! Take it slow and enjoy the ride!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, this is why the whole thing is so confusing, I can't even get the story out right for ya!

Contestant #1: twice my age, but only interested in frienship and entertainment, "not looking for a wife, just some intelligent company" BUT beats a hasty retreat when I'm seen in the "company" of another?

Contestant #2: friend of a friend, so I can get some reliable background info, very obviously attracted, but is that ALL he's after? (he's an acquaintance of my friend's hubby, not the other gentleman suitor)

Great dancers both of them, and I do LOVE to dance, just don't like the strings that are usually attached to it. Would love to go out dancing w/either one again, provided I can feel confident about calling the shots.

RELAX?? What's that?? MAy have to look that word up in the dictionary

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how I used to do it..LOL well besides the fact that I was Way to honest about most things. Like if they wanted to get into the..bedroom area they could take a number and it would be a long wait, LOL

And I was very open about the fact that I took things slow and really just wanted friends. I still have some of those guys I danced with and such as friends. some blew off right away some tried, failed and toddled off down the road.

One of those such friends always laughs and asks how steve managed to "tame the untameable"

mercymanic

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

See, this is why the whole thing is so confusing, I can't even get the story out right for ya!

Contestant #1: twice my age, but only interested in frienship and entertainment, "not looking for a wife, just some intelligent company" BUT beats a hasty retreat when I'm seen in the "company" of another?

Contestant #2: friend of a friend, so I can get some reliable background info, very obviously attracted, but is that ALL he's after? (he's an acquaintance of my friend's hubby, not the other gentleman suitor)

Great dancers both of them, and I do LOVE to dance, just don't like the strings that are usually attached to it. Would love to go out dancing w/either one again, provided I can feel confident about calling the shots.

RELAX?? What's that?? MAy have to look that word up in the dictionary
Boy do I know how you feel! I'm 33 and have been playing the game a long time, but I still don't feel like I have a clue when it comes to the rules.

"I'm only interested in friendship" can be guyspeak for a lot of things. Don't assume he means it the way a girl would.

Just go with your gut, but be careful.

luvs2be

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MInd if i jump in with my opinion,first of all men can be real pain in the butts when it come to there feelings.
Ok that being said, by everything you have said, my guess would be that the 1st guy said he only wanted freindship because he was being cautious about possibly persuing a relationship with you, so i figure he was taking his time. Along comes number 2 guy, who is apparently pretty upfront about what he wants, and number 1 is getting a little jealous. Maybe it seems he has no right to feel jealous, but feelings are a funny thing.

As for what you should do...keep the lines of communications open with both, don't feel forced in to making a desicion on either one to fast....I would however try your best to figure out if #1 has feelings.
I probably wasn't much help, sorry.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You said the first gentleman was older. Perhaps when he saw you with the younger man he felt that he didn't have a chance competing with a younger man whom you seemed to be enjoying very much so he bowed out.

There is no reason you cannot see both these gentlemen if you want as long as you make it clear to both that you are interested in friendship first. If things move along to other things then you deal with that when it happens and by then you may know each of them better and be able to decide which of them you enjoy being with the most.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was never very good at the dating scene either. But this #2 guy sounds like a nice guy and it sounds like he is really interested in you. The only advice I have for you is to go with your gut.

blueberrybeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You said the first gentleman was older. Perhaps when he saw you with the younger man he felt that he didn't have a chance competing with a younger man whom you seemed to be enjoying very much so he bowed out.

There is no reason you cannot see both these gentlemen if you want as long as you make it clear to both that you are interested in friendship first. If things move along to other things then you deal with that when it happens and by then you may know each of them better and be able to decide which of them you enjoy being with the most.
I agree! The one thing I wish I had mastered in my dating days was to DATE, not latch on to one person. Date them both, make it clear what you want, and see what happens. You are OK without a gentleman companion, and you are OK with one (or two). Really, if things don't work out with either of them, certainly there will be someone else sometime. You are a fabulous foxy thing, aren't you!! Yay!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mikenealis

See, this is exactly why I have cats.
AMEN!!!!!!

Beth, thanks so much for putting my dilemma so succintly. I haven't figured out that I don't have to settle for the first one to come along. I AM ok being by myself, but I do enjoy the company of another. And I AM a foxy thang!! (it's just really nice to hear it from the opposite sex now and again
)

Linda, as usually you've hit the nail on the head. "Jim" did mention in his brief farewell that we'd have to do the other venue sometime, so I know he's not sworn me off, just didn't want to "intrude" on our good time. I will likely call him later this week, and clarify that what he saw wasn't a fix-up.

See, this is where my inexperience really shows. The last time I dated, I was in HS, and if you even LOOKED at another guy, you were cheating on your current squeeze. And my hubby was the jealous type. I keep forgetting we're all adults now, and we should be able to handle it as such. . .