Ah! Can't my mom just be happy for the cat?

konstargirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so today I was on facebook and one of my local animals shelters just announced that after 10 years of being at the shelter, a 14 year old cat name flo was adopted. I was very happy. =D The cat has arthritis and is very ill. I probably wouldn't adopt a cat or dog or any senior animal of that matter anyway if I could.

Then when I told my mom this about Flo and her situation, she said some of the heartbreaking things to say about a cat that old. She's like, "Why can't they just leave it at the shelter? It's going to die soon?" Now I know I didn't want it to be said,but I was so frustrated at her. She asked me if I rather adopted a kitten or a senior cat. I said even though I really love kittens, I would probably go with a senior cat. Why would you say that about a poor animal, especially if that animal is sick? Just because it's old doesn't mean it won't be loved or anything. If you can't say nice about it then don't say it at all..

kimkats000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We make it a point to take in the old ones. Our last one is 14 yrs. old. Her person died and none of the family could/would take her in.

She is the best cat! She LOVES to put her face under your chin and just purr while you hold her.

We will make sure she has every thing she needs until it is time to head to the Rainbow Bridge!

Kim

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez, I sure hope your mom doesn't feel that way about old people, too.

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It takes a special person to welcome a furry baby into their home knowing it is only going to be a short time. God bless those of you who have the emotional strength to do it. I wish I was. Admittedly it's selfish but I want to be able to love them longer than a few years. I wish the world had more wonderful people willing to take on the many Seniors in shelters - they need you.

Again - God Bless you!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your mother's point of view...I think. This is not a senior cat who lived her whole life in a loving home, and then was brought to the shelter for whatever reason, so by contrast the shelter would be an awful place for her.

This is a cat who has lived her whole life at the shelter, the shelter IS her home. So, from one perspective, sending this cat to another home is not much different from someone taking a cat out of her forever loving home, except of course if the shelter is not a nice place. If she's been in a cage for 10 years, that's different of course, though she may have a very hard time adusting to living in a house if she has.

The cats don't live in cages at my local shelter, they have very nice rooms, with big windows and cat trees and all.

So, without knowing the whole story it's difficult to know how to feel about it.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder how your mom would feel down the road when she is "old and is going to die soon". Wouldn't she deserve to be part of a family then? No offense to your mom, but I think she just doesn't "get it". I believe all animals, especially older animals with health problems, deserve to have the one on one care that only a home could provide. I'm sure the shelter was doing a great job since she lived there for 10 years. But if someone is willing and ready to open their home and their hearts to an animal that will only be with them for a short time, I applaud them! I hope the rest of her days are full of treats, naps in the sunbeams, and snuggles in the arms of her new family.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

This is a cat who has lived her whole life at the shelter, the shelter IS her home. So, from one perspective, sending this cat to another home is not much different from someone taking a cat out of her forever loving home, except of course if the shelter is not a nice place. If she's been in a cage for 10 years, that's different of course, though she may have a very hard time adusting to living in a house if she has.
Kitty has been institutionalized:

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate, it sounds like something my sister would say. She thinks a 5 year old animal is too old. And her thoughts on how to discipline one is to knock the **** out of it. I do not understand thinking like that

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I wonder how your mom would feel down the road when she is "old and is going to die soon". Wouldn't she deserve to be part of a family then? No offense to your mom, but I think she just doesn't "get it". I believe all animals, especially older animals with health problems, deserve to have the one on one care that only a home could provide. I'm sure the shelter was doing a great job since she lived there for 10 years. But if someone is willing and ready to open their home and their hearts to an animal that will only be with them for a short time, I applaud them! I hope the rest of her days are full of treats, naps in the sunbeams, and snuggles in the arms of her new family.
That's a good point about her needing more specialized one on one care, and getting it in a forever home rather than in the shelter. I just hope the change in environment wasn't too stressful for her. I'm such a cynic, perhaps she will love it right away.

I confess I missed the point of the original post, and I apologize. The attitude of the mother that the cat "will die soon so why bother" is very sad. That is not what I was thinking about at all, when I was saying I worried the switch might be too hard on the cat. Certainly that old girl deserves all the love and care she can get no matter how much time she has 'left'. And the ones who open their homes and hearts to a kitty like her, well they are very special Angels.

It has been my plan to do the same, on down the line when there is room for more cats in my life. I've had my heart set on rescuing a pair of surrendered seniors who might otherwise be separated. I know it happens all too often these days, senior cats getting dumped. But so far over the past few years I have been Chosen by other cats, so it will be a long while yet.