Agressive feral cats

maloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

It's about 1.5 month, 3 feral cats comes to our door. Probably because they have seen we have 3 cats. We started feeding them outside. The 3 feral cats seem to be brothers and sisters. 2 of them are one size (looks like 4-5 months old) and the other one is about 2 sizes smaller.

The problem is for some reason the 2 bigger cats think that in order to get food they gotta hisses at us. Maybe they at first they were so hungry and both scared at us that made them hiss but as time went by, the hissing didn't disappear. If we get close they try to scratch us (which has made me bleed twice) but on the other hand they keep very close distance. They stand on my feet to get the food.

At first I thought about just giving them food so that time make it go away. But after 1.5 month nothing has changed. Is there a solution to this?

The little one is already friendly though. She let us pick her up, pet her and we washed her (she stank a lot!).

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1.5 months is nowhere near long enough to socialize feral kitties. I'm glad one of them has come around so well but the other two aren't there yet. I have a feral that took 4 years to sit in my lap and she still runs under the bed when we enter the room.

I would recommend you stop trying to touch the two that are hissing. Let them do their thing and maybe they will come around, then again they may not. Reaching out to touch them is aggression in their eyes...just talk to them, feed them and let them reach their own decisions about when you are safe.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with RAFM.  Also don't look at them directly, look at their ears or above their heads.  Stares scare ferals.

A next step might be to simply sit with the cats when you are feeding them, far enough away so you don't scare them.  That way they'll get use to your smell and relate it to food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

My own 3 cats are/were feral ones. I find feral cats very interesting because you make a history and earn their trust. Non-feral cats are born to be someone's pet but feral cats are completely independent animals which you can create a relationship with. It took less than 2 months or so for my own 3 cats to get a very close relationship with. (also with this new little one) That's why I thought 1.5 months are enough to see improvements at least.

From my experience, when a cat hisses at you, he keeps his distance or make it more for safety. These cats get close to me while hissing. Other cats "meow" for food and get close. These cats get close and hiss like "where's the food?" That's why I made the post to see if I'm doing something wrong and if I'm making them dangerous in any kind.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting case.  Cats are individuals, so there are seldom patented solutions  "one size for all".

Them hissing.  Maybe they are one of the rare case who is bullying their way forward?

Or simply, it is a variation of taking is safe sooner then being uncertain - so they hiss and swat as soon as they are the least unsure. Simultaneously as they are brave enough to go forward and take the food.

Anyway, try to go on slowly but safe, like earlier said.

Another tip of the same type is to talk much in a sweet voice.  Say, like a friendly tom would do when courting a female.   I mean, this mechanism for knowing who is probably friendly, and who is surely not friendly, them cats do have and recognize well enough.

Dont forget to cuddle with the friendly sis so they see it, they will perhaps dare more.    You can probably also cuddle much with your residents so they see it.

(are your residents going out?  did they meet??)

Tx a lot for caring both abouth the 3 first, your current residents,

and these 3 new.

Good luck!   *vibes*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SUCCESS!!!!!

It is the third time in the past 3 days the most aggressive one let me pet him. He even purred! It took like 15 scratches and 2 bites in this journey! I was completely disappointed in him and he surprised me :)

Took like 7 months I guess. All other cats I got close to, they took less than 2 months.

Cheers!