Agressive and scarred cat

rockkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me and Lily, a 7 mo female mixed Siamese had a very good relation, she was very cuddly followig me around, sitting beside me on the couch. Than I had to travel for work and stayed two weeks out.

That same day I had to travel we got her neutralized, so my wife took care of her after the surgery. Her relation with my wife is a little bit different, my wife doesn't like cuddling and prefere her to be more free and playful. 

I came back home one week ago and she seemed all scared, she didn't recognized me at first, hiding under the bed, and so on. 

After a couple of days, she seemed to be back to normal, sitting on my side when I am watching tv and sometimes asking for lat when I am working on laptop. 

However she still seemed very scared, hissing many times when she was cornered, for example when she was on the window looking outside and I tried to grab her.

However last night was the peak of the whole situation: the was doing a big mess on her litter so I picked her. She urinated all over the living room floor so I dropped her, after that she was ready to go hide under the bed where m wife was sleeping, all dirty on her urine and as I knew would be hard to take her off I grabbed her once more, she then defecated all over the place and scratched and worst, bit be pretty hard, like she would do with a prey. She had scratched me before when she was younger but never bit me with such ferocity. 

I was able to not let her go and put her on the balcony to sleep for the night. 

This morning she was on the balcony asking to come in, however when I opened the door to feed her she hissed and roared and pissed her self again. 

After a couple of hours she was ok coming next to me so I took her and bathed her. She is now on my side again on the couch. So I am suspecting she does not care about me being scaring to her or not, she just care about the warm couch (although she almost never lay there when I am not)

I don't know what is inducing such aggressive behavior towards me, I didn't do anything for hurting her. I don't know if this is related to the surgery or with my absence.

I also don't understand this change of behavior:

"I am tired, I want to sleep I'll come to you to cuddle"

" I am playing, don't come close to me or you will get hurt"

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

mrpurrrfectcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds like stress behaviour.

To be neutralised, bathed and taken off the litter when she needed to use it was probably very stressful for her and all in quite a short space of time. She may also have still been in pain after the surgery when you bathed her and just bathing a cat is stressful for them.

Cats do not react well to stress and it can affect them emotionally and physically.

A cat will try to defend itself if it is feeling scared and that may be why she was displaying aggressive behaviour towards you.

She just needs time to calm down and feel safe again after quite a stressful week and she should be fine. Keep an eye on her eating, drinking and using the litter box as any issues there could be a sign that she may be unwell, not bad behaviour.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply!

Just two corrections: it's been three weeks since she went to surgery, and I just showered her today because she pooped her self yesterday...

but indeed, I agree with you, her aggressive may be related to her surgery, or due to pain or change on hormones.

But what bugs me most is that she is scared of me sometimes after the surgery and after I stayed away couple of weeks and this seems to trigger this kind of aggressive behavior and even though from times to time she still comes next to me asking to be stoked and to sleep near me. This indicates that she don't hate me or have anything personal against me, she just get all scarred towards me from no reason.

mrpurrrfectcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After the surgery it could be that she was still feeling the affects of the anaesthetic as it can take a while to wear off.

When you go away for a while, you don't smell like home anymore, so it may be that she didn't recognise you straight away.

She still wants to be close and lay next to you so you know she loves you.