Agitated Tail Lashing Confused Behavior At Night

Moochooken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moo is 18 and has started to make her 'hurry im locked in and need to pee now!' meow in the middle of the night even when the side door is open for her, so i will get up and open the bathroom door and then the connecting ouside door for her,
she will poke her head out then decides she doesn't want to/its not safe to go out, she then walks into every room/cupboard lashing her tail aggressively then saying she needs to go out still.
If i just leave her and go back to bed she will pee/poop in the bathroom (hence that door now stays closed) so now i shove her outside close the door and wait 15mins before letting her back in.... i really dont understand the aggressive search of the house though its like shes agitated and doesnt know what for.

Background: Moo has hyperthyroidism, kidney disease and afew other things that my vet and i tried to tackle with medications and diet but the meds were traumatic for both moo and i and she had to be force fed the food with not much result for the better so we have stopped all treatments appart from anti nausea shots and painkillers to let her just be happy with what time she has.

While she was getting treatments she was locked inside with a kittylitter available in the bathroom which she would scratch in then hop out of to pee on the floor and poop in the bathtub :/ since then its like she forgets that the door is open to go outside at night but has no issuse doing her business outside in the day.

Before treatment she would only ever pee in the bathtub (never on floor) if she was accidentally locked in

She seems confused alot since we traumatized her with treatment :c

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t feel guilty about her treatment since I don’t think her current issues are related to trauma. It sounds to me that your old girl probably has the kitty version of alzheimers, where they get confused and forgetful. She knows she needs to go out but forgets it by the time she gets to the door.

I would add a couple more litter boxes, including one right by or on the path to the door to go outside and one outside the bathroom. And I have heard that leaving a light on at night can help with their disorientation.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also thinking some of her issues are related to her age, and medical conditions.

Can you put a litter box back in the bathroom? And maybe use the Litter Attract litter. Or even put some unfertilized garden soil on top of the litter to let her know it's ok to pee/poop there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm betting that there are some age-related cognitive issues happening here. Goodness, she's 80 in human years. It wouldn't be unusual at all.

The ASPCA has an excellent article about this, which actually contains a possible treatment. This treatment is only approved for dogs right now, but some vets are reporting good results in cats.

Older Cats with Behavior Problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moochooken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn’t feel guilty about her treatment since I don’t think her current issues are related to trauma. It sounds to me that your old girl probably has the kitty version of alzheimers, where they get confused and forgetful. She knows she needs to go out but forgets it by the time she gets to the door.

I would add a couple more litter boxes, including one right by or on the path to the door to go outside and one outside the bathroom. And I have heard that leaving a light on at night can help with their disorientation.
She didnt use the litter tho, only scratched in it before peeing on the floor? I will try leaving the light one for her tonight hopefully it will help c: thank you

Moochooken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also thinking some of her issues are related to her age, and medical conditions.

Can you put a litter box back in the bathroom? And maybe use the Litter Attract litter. Or even put some unfertilized garden soil on top of the litter to let her know it's ok to pee/poop there.
Ill have to have a look for the litter attract but the soil sounds like agood idea ill give it a try while i look for the attract c: thank you

Moochooken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm betting that there are some age-related cognitive issues happening here. Goodness, she's 80 in human years. It wouldn't be unusual at all.

The ASPCA has an excellent article about this, which actually contains a possible treatment.
Thank you,its a very informative Article. unfortunately the main one seems to be keep everything predictable and familiar and thats not possible unfortunately its the worst timing as we have to move into temp housing as the house we are in is being sold and ours isnt finished being built yet :'c our land lady has let me stay longer so moo wont have to move right away but everything is packed up and we are basically living in a display house :c if it is cognitive her behavior makes much more sense since everything she does remember is different my poor baby :'c

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, with that thought, can you try a calming diffuser? There's feliway and also thunderease, sentry and quite a few others with different ingredients, and styles from wipes to sprays, treats, collars...I don't know but it might make a difference. :vibes::redheartpump:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something just hit me...she may have some arthritis going on, and getting into/out of the box may be painful. She may do better with a very low-sided box. If necessary, you could get a big disposable roasting pan from the store and cut one side down very low for her. They only cost a couple of bucks, and it would be worth a try.

Moochooken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, with that thought, can you try a calming diffuser? There's feliway and also thunderease, sentry and quite a few others with different ingredients, and styles from wipes to sprays, treats, collars...I don't know but it might make a difference. :vibes::redheartpump:
Iv tried feliway years ago when we got a new kitten and it had zero effect:c thats the only one sold here so ill look up one of these with different ingredients and order online c:

Moochooken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something just hit me...she may have some arthritis going on, and getting into/out of the box may be painful. She may do better with a very low-sided box. If necessary, you could get a big disposable roasting pan from the store and cut one side down very low for her. They only cost a couple of bucks, and it would be worth a try.
Yes does have arthritis and gets a needle every few months for that but she still jumps up and down from the benches and into the bath to poop so i dont think thats part of it though

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't know whether I'm glad or sorry. VERY glad that her pain levels are low, but sorry that there wasn't such an easy fix.

Moochooken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks to everyone, iv tried a few things youve recommend and found out some others.... she enjoys laying in the yard-dirt litterbox but not to use as a loo :/ ... a few months ago a neighbor got a new cat who attacked Moo and cost me $500 in vet bills the neighbor got him desexed and kept him in at night since then, when Moo was being treated inside for a while the lady moved out and now her (ex) husband is letting the cat free at night again so Moo is not confused about the litter box but afraid to go outside at night for the loo where he attacks her.. i will have to get my other neighbor to come with me to talk to him about it as he is a very angry and volatile man and dont think i should approach him alone :/ also thank you leaving the light on has stopped the weird wondering throughout the house c:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be careful when you speak with this man. I'm happy that someone is going with you. I am glad that you have made some positive progress!

I just hope that in a decade or two, when I start having those age-related issues, someone is this patient with me!

Moochooken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Be careful when you speak with this man. I'm happy that someone is going with you. I am glad that you have made some positive progress!

I just hope that in a decade or two, when I start having those age-related issues, someone is this patient with me!
☺