Aging Fur Baby info for Newbie!

T'sMAMA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All.
We have 2 fur babies in our home. Tabby is 17 and Texas is 16. Both young ladies. Growing up with only dogs, life progressing with cats is all NEW to us! Tabby has advanced kidney failure. She is currently gets fluids 1x a week. She has been doing great, considering this condition! But, she seems to have no interest to food lately. Wet food, smelly food, chicken, dry food. You name it. She will eat here and there, but not like normal. She meows for it, and as soon as I put some down, she walks away. She seems constipated and this morning went into the litter box several times, over a short span of time. The last time she went in, I noticed a bit of blood mixed with urine. She also has been urinating on the floor and such. We put pads down for this. My questions! What is "normal" for advanced kidney failure as it progresses? How do we know she is in pain?? Ideas for eating food? How do we tell if she is suffering? We love our cats SO much and this is so anxiety ridden for me! We can't afford expensive treatments, so any information other than that would be so appreciated! Thank you!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blood in urine is a sign for getting the soonest appointment at the vet you can, even for cats with normal kidney values :)

It could be a number of things. Especially considering her condition. She will need a urinalysis and likely some blood work too.

Let us know how it goes!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A cat with kidney disease needs to be monitored often via blood work & urinalysis - no less than every 6 months. If Tabby is on any medications, more frequent monitoring might be more appropriate. A urinalysis should be done now, given that you are finding blood in her urine.

Many cats with kidney disease do lack an appetite and are generally on anti-nausea meds and appetite stimulants. A lot of them require phosphorus binders be added to their food if they are not on a kidney specific diet, in order to help compensate for their kidneys not being able to efficiently remove toxins from their bodies. The need for that can be determined by the phosphorus level that is included in a Chemistry panel that is generally part of the blood work that is done. Constipation is also seen in a lot of CKD (chronic kidney disease) cats, and many folks will give their cats a small dose of Miralax to help with that.

Most anti-nausea meds and appetite stimulants are prescription, but they aren't terribly expensive. Phosphorus binders and Miralax are OTC.

What does your vet say about any of this?

There is a very detailed and information, albeit lengthy web site that specifically addresses CKD cats, if you haven't already seen it.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

T'sMAMA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice and information!
So, I took Tabby into the vet yesterday. She was very out of sorts all day yesterday. Didn't want to be pet, and just had the look of pain in her face.
The doctor did a urinalysis and a culture. She feels the medicine that was given to Tabby for previous UTI's wasn't either effective enough or strong enough. I am waiting for those test results to come back. They did give her a dose of sub q fluid...which seemed to help a lot.
I will buy some Miralax and try that route...as far as constipation goes. That's excellent advice.
I have appetite stimulant (the kind that goes into ear) and will start giving to her a bit more than I used to. She slept when she got home from vet and ate a bunch after she was rested.
Didn't notice any more blood in urine anywhere in house. She did go on a puppy pad I had left in the dining room, on the floor.
I will let you know when I hear back from the vet. Thank you for reaching out to respond to me! Means SO much!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
T'sMAMA T'sMAMA Im glad you were able to get in so quickly!

Miralax or similar works very well in our home took :) make sure the crystals are very well dissolved before it's added to food to not cause dehydration.

Wonderful regarding the pee pads as well! Always nice when they get to somewhere that's convenient for us to clean up. Especially when we know they aren't feeling their best.

My vet recommends for all geriatric cats that they have their blood taken every 6 months ideally but at least every year. Your cats are also in the geriatric bracket. 🎉 Congratulations! It's a lucky club we are in to have had our cats age so gracefully for so long.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! RE: Miralax - Most folks try 1/8 tsp dissolved in a bit of water and then added to food - once a day, before increasing it, if need be, to twice a day. Once daily could easily be enough! And you can always give it intermittently rather than daily.

You must be using Mirataz for the appetite stimulant. That is something that vets recommend you give daily, but I think the dosage and timing is really somewhat dependent on the cat. I have given Feeby 1/2 dose every other day but will increase it to a full dose when it seems she isn't responding to it as well. Also, take a dampened cotton ball or makeup pad to clean out the ear in between doses - otherwise a residue can build up and render the Mirataz less effective.