Aggressively cuddly cat, with no claw control.

tellarhk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My partner and I have three indoor-only cats, a 16 year old tabby who is very sedate and relaxed, a second cat that is only around 6 years old and very affectionate. Both of these first two cats are used to sleeping in the same bed as people and have been very good about not making noise, thrashing around, etc.

However, a couple years ago a friend who was staying with us for a time got a third cat. He later moved to an apartment that was too small to reasonably take care of a cat, so we decided to keep her here ourselves as opposed to putting her in a third floor efficiency. She started out very standoffish, but has really warmed up to people - almost too well. Early in the mornings, after I've had around four hours of sleep, she'll come into bed and start yowling for attention as she tries to cuddle up right against my face.

This would not be a problem if it weren't for the fact she's also very twitchy about the other two cats. If one of them hops onto the bed, or interferes with "her " space, she launches herself with full claw extension, toward the door.

The night before last, she launched herself off my face twice. I have two scratches on the bridge of my nose only about a quarter inch from my eyeball, from where she dug in and cut me pretty badly. This morning, I tried to discourage her from curling up next to my face, but she started yowling and dug her claws into the bedclothes when I tried to discourage her. I got about four hours of sleep.

I'm not a fan of declawing, and neither is her owner (who has had her with us for around 6-9 months, while we've had her for the last two years) but my oldest cat did have his front claws removed when my landlord told me it was his claws that went, or I did as he was scratching paint off the walls.

This cat is unfortunately very, very resistant to behavioral changes. She was a rescued stray, and even several years later wants to be sure that she gets what she wants.

What is the best way to handle this? I'm loathe to lock all the cats out of the bedroom, because two of them have been sleeping with us for almost their entire lives, and all three would probably scratch at the door all night. There's no real room for a catbox in there, and the cats are all used to feeding any time they want with an always-filled bowl. Additionally, the house is cooled by a swamp cooler, and airflow is pretty crucial here in Nevada.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking the only way to handle this would be to have her rear claws declawed. As all the cats are indoor-only, and none of them ever show interest in leaving the house at all, I don't feel like she'd lose any defensive ability if her back claws were removed. We've tried claw caps, but they're just not something I feel like I can trust my eye to - even if we can get them on her in the first place.

Does anyone else have ideas on this? Is this a case where declawing might be the only option left?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try nail clipping and claw caps.

I would never advocate removing claws at all, but certainly not the rear ones.
Think about it: Could you honestly say that you would have an enjoyable life if you were left to scratch all of your itches with nothing but a cotton ball?

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do not consider declawing.

I understand your pain and anguish about how unfortunate the cat's behavior is, but declawing leads to mental problems, as well as balance and walking issues.

Do you really want to add to an already problematic cat? Just give her time, teach her that it's not okay to scratch you, that it leads to no fun on her part.

I know, I know. Some people don't understand the prospect of time in animals. But cats are extremely smart, and with time, they pick up on body language and the emotions you emit. They learn some things are a no-no.

Again, please don't consider declawing. It's wrong on so many levels, no matter how crazy a cat is.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off, let me start my post the same way I start most in regards to declawing. I do have some ideas to offer, which are also posted below.
TCS is very anti-declaw, as stated in the forum rules. You will likely not find anyone advocating you declaw the kitty.

3. This website considers declawing a drastic way to curb cat behavior. A painful ordeal for your kitty we would suggest that declawing never be considered for any behavioral issue. Health issues are entirely different. It is up to you as a responsible pet owner to explore all the different options available instead of declawing. Your cat is dependant on you to make wise choices for her, and not put her into any more stress or discomfort. Please be a responsible pet owner and research this subject thoroughly. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here in our forums as well as on our website itself. Declaw - More than Just a Manicure. Hopefully those of you with claw-related problems will find solutions by spending time in our Behavior Forum.
Have you tried Soft Paws? And honestly, IMO, declawing tends to make behavioral issues worse, and may well make things worse. Declawing IMO can make them more defensive & again IMO can make them more likely to bite.

I know what you're dealing with. I have a senior kitty I adopted 3.5 years ago. He's estimated to be around 16 - 18 years old. He's an interesting character. VERY friendly, loves to grab hands & bite/lick them. He's also big on sitting in laps, and clings quite tightly. I've been shredded by him more times than I can count & have even healed poorly from scratches resulting in scars. He now wears Soft Paws all the time. He can grab/groom me all he wants, but doesn't do the damage. He's happy & I'm happy.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've tried claw caps, but they're just not something I feel like I can trust my eye to - even if we can get them on her in the first place. Does anyone else have ideas on this? Is this a case where declawing might be the only option left?
Even if your cat clawed your firstborn to death, you won't get any declaw advice here, as that's like asking about abortion on a pro-life forum.

However, even declaw advocates will not recommend a four-paw declaw, as they help the stability and traction of the cat, are the claws that are used for serious defense, allow the cat to scratch itself, and typically aren't major causes for concern. If its relinquishment to a shelter or claws, then I can offer some advice... buuuut while you have already mentioned that you tried the nail caps unsuccessfully, it sounds like the real issue w/ caps is that they were very hard to get on, and I know the feeling as a buddy of mine has a cat that has to be sedated to be handled. I would suggest investigating clip-scruffing first to at least see if that resolves the issue: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233212

If it works, then you can throw those on (I wouldn't do more than one paw at a time) and in a bright color feel confident they're on and secure. They should last you about 3 weeks, and can be bought in bulk online cheap.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TellarHK

My partner and I have three indoor-only cats, a 16 year old tabby who is very sedate and relaxed, a second cat that is only around 6 years old and very affectionate. Both of these first two cats are used to sleeping in the same bed as people and have been very good about not making noise, thrashing around, etc.

However, a couple years ago a friend who was staying with us for a time got a third cat. He later moved to an apartment that was too small to reasonably take care of a cat, so we decided to keep her here ourselves as opposed to putting her in a third floor efficiency. She started out very standoffish, but has really warmed up to people - almost too well. Early in the mornings, after I've had around four hours of sleep, she'll come into bed and start yowling for attention as she tries to cuddle up right against my face.

This would not be a problem if it weren't for the fact she's also very twitchy about the other two cats. If one of them hops onto the bed, or interferes with "her " space, she launches herself with full claw extension, toward the door.

The night before last, she launched herself off my face twice. I have two scratches on the bridge of my nose only about a quarter inch from my eyeball, from where she dug in and cut me pretty badly. This morning, I tried to discourage her from curling up next to my face, but she started yowling and dug her claws into the bedclothes when I tried to discourage her. I got about four hours of sleep.

I'm not a fan of declawing, and neither is her owner (who has had her with us for around 6-9 months, while we've had her for the last two years) but my oldest cat did have his front claws removed when my landlord told me it was his claws that went, or I did as he was scratching paint off the walls.

This cat is unfortunately very, very resistant to behavioral changes. She was a rescued stray, and even several years later wants to be sure that she gets what she wants.

What is the best way to handle this? I'm loathe to lock all the cats out of the bedroom, because two of them have been sleeping with us for almost their entire lives, and all three would probably scratch at the door all night. There's no real room for a catbox in there, and the cats are all used to feeding any time they want with an always-filled bowl. Additionally, the house is cooled by a swamp cooler, and airflow is pretty crucial here in Nevada.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking the only way to handle this would be to have her rear claws declawed. As all the cats are indoor-only, and none of them ever show interest in leaving the house at all, I don't feel like she'd lose any defensive ability if her back claws were removed. We've tried claw caps, but they're just not something I feel like I can trust my eye to - even if we can get them on her in the first place.

Does anyone else have ideas on this? Is this a case where declawing might be the only option left?
I would say try clipping your cats nails. Or pay a groomer or veterinarian to do the job of nail trimmer. You can also try nail caps like this: http://www.softpaws.com/.

Arlyn;3099811 said:
Try nail clipping and claw caps. .....

As far as the declawing goes I feel that is up to the owner, cat, and veterinarian. I would rather see the cat STAY in the home then given to a shelter or worse. Now if that makes me prodeclaw that is fine. I tend to be an odd ball