Aggressive toward other cat and at feeding time

katmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have three rescue cats; Alfie, age 5(almost 6), Noddy, age 4 1/2 and Crystal, age 1 1/2. They are house cats and never go outside (although Noddy escaped once, but that's another story!)

Alfie and Noddy were gotten together nearly 4 years ago. Alfie's previous owners had adopted him from the rescue center, but returned him a few months later as they couldn't bear his 'annoying meowing' when they returned home from work each day. Obviously, he just wanted attention after being home alone all day.

They have gotten along well, but occasionally, Alfie will chase Noddy to the point of fighting with him. Unfortunately, I never actually see them, but I can hear them as it sounds like...well, a cat fight! I run in to where they are and usually yell Alfie's name as I know he's the culprit and they both take off with Alfie right behind him. There are usually tufts of white fur flying around by this point. Noddy is a very calm, laidback and loving kind of cat. He is now at the point where, if Alfie is coming in his direction or walking past him, he seems to suddenly be on his guard and seems afraid of him, yet there are other times when they're fine together. The boys both play and wrestle with Crystal, but it's nowhere near the same level of aggression as she's a bit smaller than they are and I think they realise that.

At feeding time, mainly the night feeding, Alfie comes into the kitchen about an hour before I feed them at 5:00 (I swear he can tell time!) and just sits on the counter and walks back and forth and follows me wherever I go in the kitchen. He meows and 'talks' as if to say 'when are you going to feed me?' I have to push him out of the way because he's right in front of me, between me and the dish I'm trying to put the food into! The other night he was being more aggressive than usual and bit my arm when I tried to move him out of the way; luckily I had a thick shirt on.

The vet has told us that he is overweight (he weighs about 6kg/13lbs). We have been feeding them all with a lite dry food which has less fat but we also give them pouch food in the morning and at night, about two tsps. each feeding. The problem in a multi-cat home is that Alfie also always wants to eat and will eat food from the other two dishes as well as his own when no one is looking.

Sorry to make this so long, but felt it was better to be clear about everything.

How can I possibly curb his aggression towards Noddy and at food time and stop him from eating so much? My hubby says we should get him a nose bag!

Thanks!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the best way would be to feed the cats in different rooms..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not the morning and evening feedings that are the problem. I leave dry food in their dishes throughout the day and that's the problem. Even if I put Alfie's dish in another room, I would have to keep him locked in it so he couldn't get to the other dishes. The cats all have free roam of the whole house.