Aggressive Senior Cat

sunhair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya
I'm pretty much new here but not new to owning cats I'm having a bit of an aggression issue with a senior cat 8 yrs old is the age I was told adopted her almost a month ago from a person. I don't know much of her history I do know she is spayed but from what I do know is that previous owner moved out and left the cat with roommate. So I decided to adopt her weird thing is when I contacted the person I adopted her from to let her know cat was settling in with her she had asked me if the cat has started swatting at me yet I'm like huh thinking to myself why would the cat swat at me or why would you ask me that ....

Fast forward the cat has started to randomly and unprovoked hiss at me with ears cropped back she has even tried to bite me as well I dunno what has happened to her in the past I'm kinda wondering if this is possibly the true reason the person was adopting her out was because of aggression/behavioral issues. I'm kinda nervous with going to pet her when she isn't showing aggression as it can change as I have learned. I plan on taking her to vet asap to get fully checked out but I figure I'd ask for advice on what to try as I really want to give her a chance

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that she was frightened of the previous roommate owner and remains frightened of you. Sometimes at first they can be so nervous that they don’t do much of anything, but once that settles down they start striking out when they are fearful. I would not pet her or make eye contact unless she comes to you first and then stop at a single pet or two and leave anytime she does the ears back or hissing thing.

Of course a vet visit is always a good idea. At eight she is not a senior but rather a middle aged cat but not knowing his vet care history a thorough checkup is in order.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would be a good idea to get her checked at the vet. Sometimes cats can act aggressively because they’re in pain. It could also be stress-related. Have you tried a Feliway diffuser? Feliway mimics feline pheromones, which helps cats to relax.

Here’s an article that gives some great advice: Cat Aggression Toward People

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunhair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
tyvm for responding that might be it I'm hoping to get it sorted out I never tried feliway though I have read about it and was thinking of getting it I def have to get some I mean she doesn't hiss all time but when she does its just u she does come to me purring like crazy or likes to follow me around when she is affectionate she goes on her belly but i don't pet her there as tempting as it maybe I def found that she is a bit overweight too I had started her on a diet to try to help her lose some weight she isn't very active in like being playful she also likes to sleep a lot