Aggressive new foster - need help understanding her behavior

fuzzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I recently started working with a cat rescue. They pulled a young color point from a local animal control shelter. She was on the euthanasia list. She is currently is a large double door metal veterinary-type kennel (as in for a large dog). It is outfitted with two scratching post-perch combo's, a bed, a tube, a blanket, toys and carpeting. In other words, efforts have been made to make the place comfortable and safe. She has a place to hide and to get away.

Problem is no one can get near her. She sits on one of the perches and hisses and attacks whenever anyone tries to clean her kennel or work with her. She will start to growl as soon as the kennel doors are open. She makes no effort to get away. She holds firm to her space and defends it. Yesterday, I tried to feed her some canned in a bowl. I was sitting in front of the kennel, had everything calm and quiet. I wanted to see if I could get her to move forward towards me at all. She managed to swat the food out of my hand. Her reach was greater than I had anticipated.

Today, she was so threatened she actually pooed from her perch.

I am relatively new to cat behavior issues, and an looking for insights as to what is going on with this cat.  I am thinking that this cat is terrified. My thought is also that at this point in time, leaving her in the kennel is only reinforcing her fear. That she will not learn to get over it and come around. I have seen cats come around, but she seems totally terrified. What does work with this kind of cat? I don't even know what to suggest or try.

Thanks in advance

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you - That is an excellent source.

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And just a heads up to you, in my experience the hissy ones come around easier than the ones that run away from you.