Aggressive mom cat and scared kittens

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’ve got three adult cats (2 neutered male and 1 female), the female gave birth to a litter of 5 kittens before Christmas and all of them have been getting along just fine. The adult male cats would lick the kittens, sometimes play - if it gets a bit rough, the mom intervenes and back to peace.

Something happened last night - we have an outdoor catio, all of them were out there playing & looking. Suddenly I heard noise of growling and screaming, they all rushed back at home and continued to behave nervous. The kittens went into hiding straightaway.

After a couple of hours, the situation seemed to get better. The mom cat is friendly again towards one of the males, the kittens still hide but came out to play and eat, smelled the mom and the mom seemed to be fine with them.

But the other male decided to stay in the catio overnight. And this morning when I brought him back for food, the mom cat freaked out and attacked him. The poor thing was so scared and I separated them - the male’s in another room (closed door), hiding under bed.

The kittens came out this morning to eat, went for their mom (appeared fine). But then they went into hiding again, and growl at the mom (the mom was not growling, just watching them).

My best guess is there was another animal outside the catio last night, they got scared. The male spent the night outside may smell differently, and the nervous mom was protecting her kittens.

All the cats and kittens are safe - I checked no injuries except the male had a minor scratch.

I just wonder what to do now.. I’m separating the male from the rest - he’s too stressed anyways, best to give him own space to recover. The other male’s not involved in any fighting, but was scared by the female cat’s aggression too, so keeping some distance from her, which is fine. The kittens are hiding in a place where the adult cats cannot access, including the mom. The mom seems to be “guarding” them, but the kittens are somehow scared of the mom too.

I tried to put the mom cat in a different room - the kittens then come out, but the mom is worried, meowing & scratching door to come out. When she’s out she just sit in front of the kitten’s hiding place…The kittens are getting their 2nd vaccination and some will start to leave in 1 1/2 week time. The picture was taken yesterday when they were a happy family.

Any tips highly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your assessment is spot on. Mom is protecting her kittens. I expect they will calm down and go back to mom soon. I agree the male smelled differently and perhaps a stray tom cat was outside the catio and sprayed. The apple cart is upset. I would keep your male cat separated for now and also keep mom and kittens from the catio. Will mom be spayed soon herself?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your assessment is spot on. Mom is protecting her kittens. I expect they will calm down and go back to mom soon. I agree the male smelled differently and perhaps a stray tom cat was outside the catio and sprayed. The apple cart is upset. I would keep your male cat separated for now and also keep mom and kittens from the catio. Will mom be spayed soon herself?
Not spaying her until the kittens are gone. As I heard that after spaying she may turn hostile to her kittens.

The male cats are scared and mom’s in distress, kittens are hiding and scared of mom, on my goodness I hope the situation improves soon enough.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New development, the mom cat got aggressive towards the other male cat, and also towards one of her own kittens! I now have the mom cat in a separate room.

The kittens are out playing when she’s not there, and the two male cats are also more relaxed.

She’s not happy in the room though. I try to keep her company but she goes around and scratch the door… I wonder how long I should keep her there separated from the rest…

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
New development, the mom cat got aggressive towards the other male cat, and also towards one of her own kittens! I now have the mom cat in a separate room.

The kittens are out playing when she’s not there, and the two male cats are also more relaxed.

She’s not happy in the room though. I try to keep her company but she goes around and scratch the door… I wonder how long I should keep her there separated from the rest…
These redirected agression situation are tricky. It usually calms down after a while....

You could try with a feliway spray or diffuser.

Or dr Bach remedy drops. (its a variant for such situations, to calm down after a shock) I dont know if these are still around, they were quite popular a 10 years ago.

I believe him Jackson Galaxy has something similiar.

Ps. You COULD also try with calming, relaxing music. there are long slings of such on Youtube.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These redirected agression situation are tricky. It usually calms down after a while....

You could try with a feliway spray or diffuser.

Or dr Bach remedy drops. (its a variant for such situations, to calm down after a shock) I dont know if these are still around, they were quite popular a 10 years ago.

I believe him Jackson Galaxy has something similiar.

Ps. You COULD also try with calming, relaxing music. there are long slings of such on Youtube.
I’ve found a solution. I thought she was going around due to separation anxiety. So I took two of her most outgoing kittens to the same room in a cat carrier case (in case she gets aggressive again). Boom! She wanted to nurse them straightaway and the kittens were not afraid. She’s now calmed down, lying in bed and the kittens are feeding on her & purring. Think I will keep this for a couple of days, and try to gradually re-introduce the mom to male cats.

Feliway’s on the way to us arrive tomorrow. Fingers cross the situation will be resolved soon!

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck and please get mum cat spayed as soon as you can, so she's not having more kittens :catrub: