Aggressive male feral

Jodianne66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a colony of 6 adult feral and 2 kittens. A few months back a male feral showed up and has attacked my 2 males. And he's recently tried to attack one of my females. All 4 of my females are now spayed. The 2 girls who kept having kittens were just spayed a few days ago. How do I get rid of this male? He's driving my indoor male crazy, and my indoor has now begun spraying inside the house! I don't want to have the feral put down. I've tried shooing away, spraying him with the hose. He just keeps coming back! Help

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi J Jodianne66 Thank you for getting all of your cats spayed. Are the male cats you care for neutered as well?

I think that as you've only just had some of the female cats spayed this male cat has come around to look for a mate. Once a female cat has been spayed for a while an intact tom will treat her as an intruder, just as he would any other male cat. To them cats are either potential mates or potential enemies. But if your girls have only just been fixed he may have been attracted to the area while they were in heat and now he's sticking around.

The only thing you can do is trap him and have him neutered as well. Once all the cats in your colony have been fixed they'll do a better job of defending their territory, but if there are still intact cats or kittens in the group they'll be continuous trouble.

How old are the kittens? They'll need to be fixed at around five months of age too. Do you need help finding a low cost spay and neuter clinic?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jodianne66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi J Jodianne66 Thank you for getting all of your cats spayed. Are the male cats you care for neutered as well?

I think that as you've only just had some of the female cats spayed this male cat has come around to look for a mate. Once a female cat has been spayed for a while an intact tom will treat her as an intruder, just as he would any other male cat. To them cats are either potential mates or potential enemies. But if your girls have only just been fixed he may have been attracted to the area while they were in heat and now he's sticking around.

The only thing you can do is trap him and have him neutered as well. Once all the cats in your colony have been fixed they'll do a better job of defending their territory, but if there are still intact cats or kittens in the group they'll be continuous trouble.

How old are the kittens? They'll need to be fixed at around five months of age too. Do you need help finding a low cost spay and neuter clinic?
Thanks for responding. 2 of my females were spayed when they were younger. The one he went after was spayed long before he showed up on the scene. I have 4 more appts for TNR. My one male is super friendly so i shouldn't have a problem getting him. Not sure about the other or the aggresor we call Bob, as he is the size of a small bobcat. All my indoor cats are fixed but that has stopped my oldest male from spraying. I'm sure Bob did show up as the kittens are most likely his. My one female hasn't returned home since being spayed. I know she recently had kittens but don't know where they are. My other female had kittens 3 months ago. I was able to find a home for one, but have had no luck catching the other 2. My shelter will S/N at 4 months. They do it for 10 bucks and give shots as well. I did theit caturday class and recieved coupons for free TNR. I just neex some peace with this cat. My other cats have been with me closer to 2 years. I took 2 of the ferals inside so i used to have 8.

Jodianne66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Meant hasn't stopped my oldest male from spraying

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Meant hasn't stopped my oldest male from spraying
Yeah, some of my fixed male cats spray if they hear a cat fight outside, or one of the neighbour's dogs get loose or a raccoon comes into the yard. They are very sensitive to the least little disturbance.

All you can do is try to cut down on the things that upset them. Getting everyone fixed is the best move, things usually calm down a lot after that. Use a good enzyme cleaner, like Nature's Miracle or Fizzion, to clean up the places your cat has sprayed. It removes all traces of smell so he's less likely to spray there again. If there are any spots where he repeatedly sprays you can tape up some of those puppy pee pads to catch it. Makes cleaning a lot easier.

I used to have 27 semi-feral and rescued cats in my house and enclosure. Now I'm down to 15, so I know what you're going through. It's tough, but things will calm down eventually.

:hugs:

Jodianne66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, some of my fixed male cats spray if they hear a cat fight outside, or one of the neighbour's dogs get loose or a raccoon comes into the yard. They are very sensitive to the least little disturbance.

All you can do is try to cut down on the things that upset them. Getting everyone fixed is the best move, things usually calm down a lot after that. Use a good enzyme cleaner, like Nature's Miracle or Fizzion, to clean up the places your cat has sprayed. It removes all traces of smell so he's less likely to spray there again. If there are any spots where he repeatedly sprays you can tape up some of those puppy pee pads to catch it. Makes cleaning a lot easier.

I used to have 27 semi-feral and rescued cats in my house and enclosure. Now I'm down to 15, so I know what you're going through. It's tough, but things will calm down eventually.

:hugs:
Thanks so much for responding. I tried using a black light to find areas he's sprayed but seems like everythings glows! Lol
I have TNR appts for tuesday so hoping i get Bob. My one Black make feral Binx is missing. He's my favorite. Such a sweet boy, friendly. I heard a fight the other day over my fence. Praying he's ok. He's gone missing for 10 days before so I'm trying not to panic. I'd take him inside if I could get my other 3 indoor males to accept him. I absolutely love that cat. My one female who was just spayed on Wednesday has not returned since releasing. I hope she has another food source. She has kittens as well. My Calico, Patch who was fixed on the same day is fine. I've raised her and the other ferals, not Bob, he's new, since they were kittens. Their mom went to rainbow bridge. I love these ferals just as much as my indoor cats. I have 4. 3 males and 1 female. She hates everyone, lol.