aggressive kitty

sher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a large gray and white tabby almost 2 years ago. He appeared to be such a nice cat. He loves being held, but wants to be held or petted ALL the time. If you don't give him lots of attention, he will follow as I go from room to room and nip at me or bite. I have gotten scared of him.

He can be a really loving cat, but sheds badly, so hard to want him on your lap as much as I would like. He's a short hair, but the hairs are long and bountiful.

Also, he will hardly let my husband touch him and he would really love to bond with the cat.

Actually 3 questions here, I guess. The gal I adopted him from said her daughter carried him around all the time. So, I guess that might explain wanting all the attention. But I can't and won't do that. He acts like a little child and goes wild running through the house like crazy and attempting to climb doorways (has no front claws though). Not only am I concerned about him damaging and scratching the doorways with back claws, it is worrisome.

He has basically latched onto me like a life preserver. I understand that when you first get a cat, it bonds tightly with the first person that got it. Boy, he sure has. He is really nice with everyone and will let them pet him, friends, family, but NOT my husband. He has tried "buying" him with treats and is gentle when he touches him, but he shrinks and runs away.

On the good side (and he really is a sweet cat most of the time), Fred(the name he came with) is part-dog! He flops down and wants his belly rubbed and petted (but only shortly). AND, he entertains when we have company, by fetching. I throw one of his toys and he goes and gets it. Brings it back to me and I praise him ("good kitty, that's such a good kitty!"), clap, pet him and throw it again. I have had cats years ago and have several friends who have cats and none of us has ever seen a cat fetch! Usually you CAN'T teach a cat tricks! Anyone else experiencing this?

I guess the greatest fear I have of him is the biting of ankles when I walk around. He has intimidated me in my own house! And to make it worse, when he does it, I have hit or kicked and punished him. Not horribly, but just struck back in anger. In reading on here, I know that natural reaction was not the thing to do. It has probably instilled the agression even more, even though he loves me too! Just like a child. Getting attention. But at times, I am ready to give him away or call the adoption gal and give him back. When you adopt you don't have the knowledge of what the cat has been through. He is also a BIG male. Neutered too.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts would be that first off, this is learned behavior, clicker training may be helpful here.
Get him in to a vet, rule out any and all possible medical problems.
Second, profuse shedding is generally diet related.
As for your husband, chances are good that this cat has suffered some real, or even percieved abuse at the hands of a male.
I suggest your husband get down on the cat's level, talk to him in as high pitched a voice as he can muster, use baby talk, and reward a good interaction with a favorite treat. Try blinkies, don't stare at a cat, it's threatening, instead, blink slowly at them.
Never push his limits of tolerance.

As for you, subdue your fear, he can pick up on this and act on it.
Get a feliway difuser, they can help a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone suggested the spray bottle and I did that for a while, also to keep him off of places he shouldn't be. It worked for the latter but not for the biting. then the other day I read where it only makes them MORE aggressive. So, that was probably wrong,but what is the clicker thing? Like the old Halloween clickers? Where can I find something on how to do that?

He's such a sweet, smart kitty in so many other ways. And he is always at my feet or in the room where I am. Like a shadow.

Can he be changed in behavior patterns at 2 years old?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Isn't it fun? The fetching! We just stumbled on it. and he follows me around like a shadow, then if I am not giving him attention, he goes and brings the toy to me in hopes I will toss it to him to fetch. We pat him on the head and pet him and say "Good Kitty". He eats it up and goes for more, just like a dog, until I wear out.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are much like dogs, with patience and the right methods, they can be taught at just about any age.

Here is a site that can help you learn about and get started with clicker training.
Clicker Training Cats

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat, Dutches, that would stretch up the back of my leg and nip me when he wanted attention. It hurt, but not badly...and I just loved it! It made me feel special in a way, because I was the only one he did this too. When we moved, he got out the door somehow and I never saw him again
I looked and called around our town for months(at times I had other cats actually following my car when I was calling for him) broke my heart! I would give anything for him to reach up and nip me now.

foxyfantastica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh Salem Cat, that made me so sad cos i am terrified of my little monkey going missing. I know that it seems so silly when i say to people that he's like my child, but he is. I struggle to think of loving anything more than him right now. He went missing for a week recently and i practically had the whole nieghbourhood out looking for him, they were so good. He then just strolled back into my friends house one night. No doubt your little cat found a comfy lap and just ended up staying there. i hope so.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sher, I have clicker-trained my cats and dog, and it is the most wonderful way of positive, interactive training for an animal. My kitten Sashka was an impossible girl and that's when I started learning about clicker-training. It really transformed her behaviour. And our puppy, Ruby, at 14 weeks can sit, stay, come, lie down, fetch and drop, this took about 10 five-minute training sessions with the clicker.

It is called `operant conditioning' and it is where a specific sound (ie - a click) will make the connection between a desired behaviour and a reward. Usually in dogs a desired behaviour will be offered at some point, and then reinforcing that is easy. With cats it's a bit harder, but there are ways of getting them to understand what you are trying to teach them. Best of all, though, is that it's a very easy technique to pick up and you will not have stress about having to learn how to be a trainer as well!

Go to clickertraining.com for an introduction or just type it in Google or something - the internet is a font of information!

Good luck!!

pearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pearl also tries to bite me when I won't pick her up or pay attention to her when SHE wants it. Don't let your cat know that you're anxious about it because he will know how you're feeling. This cat sounds smart. Try diverting his attention with a toy but don't kick or hit. That will definitely encourage aggression.!

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
foxyfantastica said:
Oh Salem Cat, that made me so sad cos i am terrified of my little monkey going missing. I know that it seems so silly when i say to people that he's like my child, but he is. I struggle to think of loving anything more than him right now. He went missing for a week recently and i practically had the whole nieghbourhood out looking for him, they were so good. He then just strolled back into my friends house one night. No doubt your little cat found a comfy lap and just ended up staying there. i hope so.[/QUOTE

I really hope so too...but I doubt it, because not only did Dutches disappear that day, so did my Martin. We were at our new house for about 3 days, and I'm assuming they went out the door that attaches the house to the garage. It was open for awhile because my husband couldnt get the washer through it and had taken off the hardware to keep it closed tightly. I had been so busy that day getting things unpacked I didnt notice they were gone until that night. I think they probably tried to go back home, because they had lived there all there lives and knew it as home. But as I checked at the old house everyday, neither of them ever showed up there.