Aggressive kitty

fuzzywolf2006

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently moved back in with my parents after five years. Right after I'd moved out five years ago, I got my cat Sadie as a two month old kitten. I've had her ever since. I recently returned home with her and my other cat Lulu. At first she seemed to like all the extra space and not having to deal with roommates and their dogs. We've been back here for a month.

Traditionally, I was the the only person she loved, and she hissed at everyone else who came near her. And I mean everyone. She's terrified of some other people, especially men. But people like my mom and my younger sisters she just ignores unless they get too close.

But in the last week or so, she has been getting angry at everything. She is a long-haired cat and needs to be brushed frequently. She used to love it. Now I can't get near her with a brush. I've tried brushing her as slowly and gently as possible, but I end up having to hold her down so I can do it, especially when I brush her butt and around the back of her legs. She's never liked that spot brushed too much, but now she goes bat**** crazy every time I get near that area.

She's also become more aggressive toward family members. She used to absolutely love my mom petting her with her long nails, but now she hisses and growls every time she comes near. My mom's a cat lover, and talks to her so soothingly and quietly, but Sadie won't have it.

She's becoming overall more distant from me. She doesn't sleep with me anymore, she doesn't talk to me like she used to, and she no longer likes me to pick her up and put her on my shoulder. She attacks my other cat Lulu whenever they get too close to each other.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of the bitchy attitude my cat is giving me and everyone around me. I love her to death, which is why I've kept her for five years through college. I feed her expensive food, make sure she's healthy with vet visits, and wish I could love on her more than I do now, but she just gets huffy with me.

A part of me is considering having her put to sleep if something doesn't improve. She would not survive with anyone else because she doesn't like anyone except me. She tolerates other women at best, but likes no one else. And she is absolutely terrified of men and small children. If I can't take care of her needs, such as the brushing daily that she so desperately needs, then I don't know what to do. She is eating and using the litterbox fine, so I don't know what is wrong.

Can anyone please help me save my cat? I hate to see her so scared and angry all the time. It breaks my heart, but I can't deal with a cat that acts aggressively toward the rest of my family. What should I do?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Moving is stressful, period. While this may be the symptoms of stress, it may also be that she's gotten sick with something - a bladder infection is common (though often peeing outside the box is the indicator there's a problem there) - a common stress reaction in female cats is something called interstitial cystitis - an inflamed bladder wall, causing pain and discomfort. She may be very pissy because she's in pain. Eating an using the litter box fine do not mean she's not having a health problem. Often the only indication there's a physical problem is, in fact, a change in behavior. So the very first thing to do when there's this type of behavior change is to get her to a vet for a checkup.

If she gets the all clear from the vet (after blood work and a urine sample), there are a number of things you can do.

Are you using Feliway in the home? This is a synthetic hormone that mimics the friendly markers in cats' cheeks. It helps reduce stress. I'd go with the spray, unless you want to invest in plug-ins for all the rooms she frequents.

I'd recommend trying Bach's Rescue Remedy: http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm A few drops can be added to water dishes every day when you wash them out and refill them. You can also dab it behind her ears, at the base of her tail, and under her chin (so it wafts up into her nose). It doesn't always work, but it works well when it does work (if that makes sense
).

You can also consider getting calming music for her:

http://www.musicmypet.com/
http://www.catfaeries.com/music-for-cats.html

Does she like to play with interactive wand toys? Extra play time can often really help relieve stress.

You can, of course, try all of them at the same time.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - is there much vertical space dedicated to the cats in the home? As she and Lulu seem to be having issues with each other, creating as much vertical space as you can for them should also help.