Aggressive Indoor Male Cat

carleighcurtis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, my boyfriend and I adopted a indoor neutered male cat about 2 months ago now. About 2 weeks after we had him we thought he was settling in fine, but when I came home one day from work he jumped off the window sill and dug his claws into my leg and began biting me to the point where my leg was gushing blood (and I now have scars). When we got him, we were told he had never been outside before and was about 4 years old. Now, every single day he tries to run out the front door and will CRY at the door for hours on end. Tonight, he got out and attacked our neighbours male cat. When I grabbed him to bring him back in he kept hissing at me and biting and clawing at my arms. I'm now covered in scratches and bleeding. He has a large scratch post with a perch to look out the window, and we are constantly playing with the lazer pointer, balls, little toy mice to wear him out, but this aggressive behaviour just seems to be getting worse. Even when he wants to snuggle after a few minutes he will just bite my fingers really hard. I'm not sure if anyone knows what might be his problem, or how we can correct it. I love him and we don't want to get rid of him but I don't know what to do anymore. I'm constantly scratched up, and he is constantly whining at the doors or windows to be let out even though he has been an indoor cat for four years! He can be such a sweetheart when he wants to be, but I don't know what to do anymore!

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When there is such extreme behavior, I think that a vet visit is in order to rule out any medical issues. Sounds like you almost need to keep him confined to one area (a spare room?) while you are figuring out what's going on. I also would not approach him and allow him to approach you. Watch for his "I'm upset" signals and stop before it gets to this point, although it does sound as if he is unpredictable right now.

I'm also wondering when he was neutered - and whether they got everything. Once in a while they will not take both testicles from a male (my daughter had a foster that this happened to) and he was very "tom" looking and acting in some behaviors.

Good luck to you. Let us know how things are going.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's not liking the guy next door. Are you sure he's been an indoor cat?

Are you sure he's been neutered? I agree that a trip to the vet is in order. And a word of advise; don't try to pick up or pet a cat that is agitated.

Something is "off". Do a little investigating and you'll find out just what it is.