Aggressive Cats After Move

minipaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have Four cats....Two females that are 9, One Male who is 8, and another Female who is 2. They are all fixed and healthy. We moved (10 months ago)and now all hell has broken loose.....The two older females fight very bad. Fur Flying, Screaming, Peeing, and Hitting! The one is now permanently living in my bedroom. The other three roam the house, but the male has also stared bullying the other older female. We took all the older ones to the vet at first they said feliway spray. Which didn't work. Now they are trying Prozac. Has anyone had success, as in they Stopped the Fighting and the Bullying? I can't live like this. Iys becoming so stressful. I do not want anyone to get hurt!! They all have to be either seperated or monitored 24/7. I'm just so stressed by it and scared for them. Giving them up is Not an option so we have to find a way to fix this. Thanks....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's quite a bit of that going on, it seems. Territory is everything to a cat, even those who share a home, and moving totally disrupts their lives. Suddenly they are in a place that looks strange, and even more importantly, smells strange. All of those scent cues that said, "This is my place, this is safe and known!" are gone.

The fix for this is not easy, but it is also possible in almost all cases. You are going to probably have to reintroduce your cats to one another as if they were meeting for the first time. I'm going to give you a couple of links to articles on how to successfully do that, although you have done it before. You might see something that triggers an "AH HA" moment. Site swapping cannot be stressed importantly enough. ALL of your cats need access to all areas, although not at the same time! That way, they are getting their scent markers re-established. I'm also including a couple of articles on reducing stress in your cats. That should help, as well.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

In addition to this, there are some pretty good calming collars on the market right now. I've heard good things about them, and the reviews seem very good, as well. Just google "calming collar cats" and several articles and ads will pop right up! That may be worth looking into rather than long-term Prozac. Just a thought.