Aggressive Cat

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Can anyone help. I have three cats who up until 4 weeks ago all lived in harmony. I have a 6.5 month old male kitten & my 2yr old female has started to be really aggressive with him. It's gone from hissing to now striking out at him if he even so much as looks at her.
Prior to 4 weeks ago she was great with him, she really looked after him & tolerated his exuberance.
I initially thought it could be because he wasn't yet neutered & he was maturing & she was warning him off. So I got him done a week ago, things haven't as yet calmed down. I'm aware that it takes a good few weeks for the testosterone to get out of his system.
Can anyone think of any other reason for her aggression??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the neutering was essential, and I think the sexual maturing an important point here. In so young kitten the testosterone levels arent that high as yet, but him being at the vet makes him smell differently. So it should change in a few day, I hope...

If any other reason? It can be much. They perhaps happened to go into a fight, and it takes time to be friends again. There was perhaps a case of redirected aggression - they saw an unknown cat outside the window...

She is perhaps unwell?? cats in pain has less patience than otherwise. And they attack in first hand other cats, humans comes later on.

Keep the nails short, and try to talk them down with sweet voice as soon you notice tensions. A Feliway adapter may also help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's very strange because he has been at the vets numerous times over the past 6.5 months & never shown any aggression, so I don't think it's that.
She's not unwell.
She does seek out less attention from me but my kitten is always with me so I'm presuming she is a little jealous.
I'm hoping as he gets older & less clingy she'll relax more??

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has there been any change in behaviour with the third cat and the 2 y.o.?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No not really, I'm giving my 2yr old more attention to see if that helps.