Aggressive Cat Only Likes Me

DrPurrsky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, new member here!

I have a 4 year old Russian Blue lady named Macy. She is spayed, indoor only, and aside from being overweight, was given a clean bill of health from my Vet just this Thanksgiving. In general, she is very skittish and only seems to open up to me. She would mainly just keep to herself.

Here's where the problems arise: I have been seeing someone for about six months. For the first several months, Macy was quite warm towards my girlfriend. But recently, the past 7-8 weeks Macy has become aggressive, which she never has before. My girlfriend thinks that Macy just hates her, but I think it's odd that it began so randomly. Neither of us are aggressive towards Macy, and this problem is making us both very sad.

Conversely, once we are in bed Macy has no issue laying with/between/atop both myself and/or my girlfriend. It's as if she forgets about the issue when we are laying in bed.

I recently purchased a Feliway diffuser (hopefully it works), we have plenty of toys for Macy, and a 6' tall cat tree that she uses frequently. We have taken note of occurrences but still aren't sure what triggers Macy (jealousy/territorial/etc?).

Example: I am petting Macy as she sits in a chair, my girlfriend will walk by us (not even closely) to use the restroom, and Macy will start hissing, spitting, growling, and becoming generally aggressive. Eventually she will pinecone-up and run into the bedroom and under the bed (her safe space).

Example: My girlfriend will feed Macy (attempt to build trust). Macy becomes excited and grateful as the bag is out, but once the food is in her bowl she becomes aggressive and will even hiss at my girlfriend with bag still in hand.

I don't need Macy to become the life of the party, just not attack my girlfriend unprovoked. The problem has become worse and worse, and my absolute last resort would be to find her a new home. Any help figuring out the cause or a solution would be greatly appreciated! Again, we have already taken her to the vet and she was given a clean bill of health.

Thanks!

mike758

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a calico who’s the same way. She’s not aggressive towards my parents, but I’m the only one she’ll let pet her. She’s hated my brother since he’s been born, she will growl and hiss if he comes near her, and attack if he gets too close. He’s 13 now so she never got an understanding for him. She also hates strangers, but she simply just hides from them.

Basically, we’ve just dealt with it. We declawed her after she scratched someone’s young daughter who got too close.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi DrPurrsky! First of all, welcome to TCS! I think you're doing all the right things - having your girlfriend feed Macy, giving her lots of vertical territory, and using Feliway.

It's a little odd that Macy was fine for a few months, and then started getting defensive and hissy. Any chance there was something that startled Macy around that time? Or another cat she may have seen out the window? Is it possible that your girlfriend could have the scent of a dog or another cat on her?

Whatever the cause, I think it will take some time for Macy to get used to your girlfriend again. Figure out what treat is irresistible to her, and only have your girlfriend give it to her. Have your girlfriend play with Macy using a wand toy to distract her, especially when she's getting hissy. In general, have her avoid eye contact with Macy and do soft blinks instead. Hopefully, over time, Macy will become less defensive.

Welcome, again! We love pictures here, so please post some of Macy when you get the chance!