Aggressive Behavior

Lindas1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have had my cat for 7 years, he’s an indoor cat weighing in at 20 lbs. and is neutered, he has always played roughly and been aggressive at times, he gets angry and will attack us if we move him from a chair we want to sit in or if we don’t let him in an off limits room. He also targets one of my other cats from time to time for no apparent reason. I’m not sure what to do with him, we’ve had him since he was 4 weeks old and his aggressive behavior can be frightening as he breaks the skin with bites and deep scratches. He’s never been a lap cat and tolerates limited petting but does love us, he rubbes up to us and follows us room to room to be with us. He sleeps in my bed with no aggression also. I’m at my whits end with this boy, I’ve had cats my whole life but never one so aggressive , any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindas1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Lindas1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has been seen by a vet, this appears to be a behavioral issue, vet said it’s territorial too cat behavior but I don’t have money for a cat behaviorist, I love my boy I just worry he will really hurt us one day, he use to jump at my son in law for no reason until I realized there is a small hall in our home by two off limits rooms he often attacks in also. I’ve never had a cat get angry before and am hoping someone may have some experience with this

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have had him since 4 weeks his behavior is based on being removed from the family unit too soon to learn from his mama and siblings how to play nice. This is usually learned from 8-12 weeks. If he comes at you, grab him by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold him to the ground until he settles down, hissing or saying NO sternly. This has to be done EVERY time he comes at you, even many times in a row if he gets mad. It is very effective because it mimicks what a mama cat does to discipline. It is usually done as a last resort, but it sounds like you are there, good luck!

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I have an aggression issue with my 3 year old baby as well. She has been on and off of meds for this- but I eventually chose behavior modification over meds. They made her totally unlike herself and it killed me to see her like that.
-She attacks guests (has gotten much better at this, will just go hide now if we have people over)
-lashes out at me if I do not feed her in time (will not touch my husband though)
-does NOT like to be brushed/groomed. a big problem with matted fur because of her long hair.

I really feel like the advice about holding him down by the scruff is good. My baby was separated too early on from her mom and siblings and definitely thinks shes a human.

I know its frustrating. Hang in there!

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more thing- PLAY THERAPY. When I see signs that my little one is getting agitated (tail flaps, eyes), I immediately re-direct with a toy. If i can re-direct her energy into play, it helps a ton.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What di and bob di and bob said is the best advise. The only thing I'd add is be careful not to lift him by the scruff. At his weight it could be physically harmful. A second or 2 to get him in position for a Mama hold down should be fine.

Lindas1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I have an aggression issue with my 3 year old baby as well. She has been on and off of meds for this- but I eventually chose behavior modification over meds. They made her totally unlike herself and it killed me to see her like that.
-She attacks guests (has gotten much better at this, will just go hide now if we have people over)
-lashes out at me if I do not feed her in time (will not touch my husband though)
-does NOT like to be brushed/groomed. a big problem with matted fur because of her long hair.

I really feel like the advice about holding him down by the scruff is good. My baby was separated too early on from her mom and siblings and definitely thinks shes a human.

I know its frustrating. Hang in there!
Thank you