Aggressive Behavior Towards Boyfriend

mnstn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been dating a guy for 6 months and unfortunately he hasn't been able to win my cat over. I should start by saying that my cat likes just about no one except me. It is not uncommon for her to hiss and swipe at people who visit. Particularly if they tried to pet her or get too close. Her nickname before I adopted her was Hiss.

My boyfriend really wants to become friends with my cat or at least be able to pet her and show her that he means no harm. I have tried telling him to ignore her, putting a hand down and letting her approach and playing with her. She didn't open up with any of these attempts.

I am out of ideas. He doesn't live with me so I am wondering if he came over to my place more often if that would make a difference in winning her over.

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can he feed her when he comes?  Perhaps a special kind of food she likes?  What things does she like?  Some cats really do like just one person; but hopefully she can learn to tolerate him at the least! 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you can tell him to get down on the floor, and not push her but talk to her sweetly.  Tell him to make his voice a little higher if he can.  Often cats are threatened by men's lower voices.  He can put out his hand with a treat, sometimes that helps.  Tell him not to force her but let her come to him, if she will and take the treat.  Not to try to pet her or touch her. It may take a few tries but maybe eventually she will let him pet her by petting him first (rubbing against his hand).  Some cats are pretty much one person only cats but if he can get her to a point where she doesn't run or hiss or growl at him whenever she sees him, but peacefully coexists with him.  This would be a win.  Don't expect too much too soon.  Just tell him to keep trying.