aggressive affection?

peter carter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm later sixties now, had cats all my life, and knew one who gave the occasional nip on the ankles as a sign of affection (not on me but female in my house), but the latest is a puzzle - entire tom, beautiful 2 year-old  classic tabby (which is why we chose to give him a chance to keep his genes in the pool), usually distant though likes company, does not automatically get onto laps or available beds to sleep, so quite atypical for a British shorthair. He doesn't smell or spray in our little garden.

He loves being stroked and his head scratched BUT will sometimes push his head into one's hand, grab one's wrist and bite, not hard and doesn't come near breaking the skin but he hangs onto one's wrist with claws out!

What to do? I've had toms before without any problems: I can get him neutered ok, but feel that might not be addressing the root cause.

He is a real oddball, an outdoor animal with plenty or opportunity to burn off energy and interact with the neighbouring cats.

Suggestions please!

insidiousfeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey.

Our current family cat is a year and a half old tortoiseshell. She's affectionate at times, and entirely self reliant (though She wont complain to cat food), but she does sometimes nip at you, not really meaning to cause any damage. From what it seems, i am fairly certain its just to do with the age of the cat, being a more immature and playful individual. As well as this, for a Tom it may be a sign of dominance, or just and indicator that your cat wants some alone time.

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but Neutering him could (just to say, past this point is mainly speculation, having only had already neutered or else female cats Myself) help in some manner if its dominance related.

I hope that helps at least a bit..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peter carter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks InsidiousFeline, food for thought. Pretty sure that you're right and that it's a dominance thing - he knows who the boss is, follows me to the shop etc., loves to sit by my desk and so on, but now my wife tells me that he won't tolerate much of my young daughter, which is a pity because she is a softie for animals. The puzzle is why he attacks at all - no tail-swishing warnings either. I think that we just have to accept that he's got a certain nature. We are going to have him 'done', sorry girls!

Regards, Peter