Aggressive 7 month old kitten

casperkitten07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could please help me?

I live with my nan and we own a 7 month old Egyptian Mau cross kitten called Casper who is constantly and viciously attacking my nan by hanging on to her and biting untill he draws blood. He does it mainly on her hands but when she stands up he jumps and attacks her body but he seems to be fine with me.

I'm worried that this is non playful aggression as he is now stalking her and looking to attack her wherever she goes. He hasn't been allowed out yet as he has just been neutered about two weeks ago but she wants him to be an indoor cat anyway. He's got all the toys you can imagine and is frequently played with so it can't be through boredom and he is never allowed to play with hands or feet.

She has tried gently scruffing him but to no avail as he just hangs on, she has no eye contact with him and walks away and shuts the door to try and calm him down but he still chases and jumps up clawing her stomach and back in the process. He's fed well and litter tray is always clean and he has full run of the house.

His aggression has got worse since being neutered and also we lost our Yorkie about 3 weeks ago as he was very old. He used to play with him but it soon turned to aggression. She has been reading up on how to try and solve the problem but they don't work. He's fine as far as we know medically so don't know what's wrong, he doesn't hiss, spit or growl but his tail swishes and goes thick, ears and head goes back and he jumps and attacks. She has read about some people suggesting getting another kitten but this is out of the question for us.

We've had cats all our lives but never one like Casper, we both absolutely love and adore him but nan is now frightened of him and in complete despair. Please can anybody give some advice on the reasons why he is so aggressive towards her and what to do to solve the problem? Thanks.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome 

If this is brand new behavior I would definitely suggest getting him checked out by a vet to make sure he's okay physically.  Cats can be very good at hiding pain, so you wouldn't necessarily know if something was wrong.

If he gets the all-clear medically I'd recommend these articles as a jumping off point:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/re-directed-aggression-in-cats
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-stop-playtime-aggression-in-cats

It sounds like you guys are doing the right things... hopefully these articles may be able to give you some new ideas.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casperkitten07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thank you for your reply and the articles that you sent. On reading it I think it is more the playful aggression as I mentioned before that he doesn't hiss or spit but can be a bit rough and hyper. He does have a very affectionate side too when he wants but then he can just suddenly turn. We was wondering if he could still be teething as he has got a cardboard box which he loves to bite. I'm not sure what age they stop teething. Can it take quite a while for some cats to settle down after being neutered as when we had our other cats they settled down after only a couple of days?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like play agression to me too. Can you describe how you normally play with him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casperkitten07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I usually play with wand toys with him or throw his toy mice for him to catch. He likes it when I hide them and he has to find them also he has got a remote control mouse which he loves to chase around the room.