Aggression from foster cat

sonyushashuman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a female foster, about 3 years old. She had stopped eating at the shelter and was looking "off."  The first vet check showed increased liver enzymes, which have improved and are normal on the last recheck.  It takes a lot of work still to get her to eat cat food, but this is getting better as more time goes on.

She doesn't much like other cats, but seemed at the shelter to simply ignore them.  Not so here.  I did the slow intros - they met under the door first with nothing but a little growing.  Once she was cleared by the vet I did things like allowing them into one another's spaces etc.. Short visual contact through the doorway etc.. and finally allowed them into the house together for short (10-15 minutes at a time.)  The entire process took about 3 weeks.  It seemed to go well, at first.  She doesn't like the kittens, but they learned quickly to leave her alone.  The adults ignore her and for the most part she follows suit.

Today my male was at the top of the stairs, just grooming.  She was at the foot of the stairs and suddenly darted up and attacked.  This was not play.  This was a fur flying, caterwauling assault.  Oddly, Mr Submissive did NOT back down and the two cats rolled down the stairs together rolled into one ball.  I managed to break them apart by throwing a pillow at them after removing my resident female who came to her buddy's defense.  I had to get a quilt over her to calm her down as she wouldn't let me near her without attacking at that point.  I removed her back into her space and when she calmed down I fed her (she eats well only if somebody is actually in the room right now) and spent some time with her (having already calmed down the resident cats.) 

And so now we start over.  She is shut in the bathroom in the upstairs suite (the other master is downstairs - the resident cats have not been evicted from my bedroom.)  The door to the bedroom is shut, so there is no contact at this time.

At this point I don't know if it is worth trying to re-introduce.  I hadn't planned on keeping her, but it was going so well at first that it had crossed my mind.  If nothing else - I do need to know what to report back as information for prospective adopters on how she does with other pets.  She seemed fairly happy in the suite before, so perhaps she just will stay there.  She did want more attention or time with people, so I gave it a try.  She will be in foster a while longer - at least a few more weeks.  She needs to be eating normally.

So.  Do I start over and take it even more slowly?  Forget about the re-introductions and just advise that she should be an only cat?  That's going to make it more difficult to find her a home, but then again - if it is this difficult to introduce her, not making that recommendation could end up in a failed placement.  She is a real sweetheart when she is not a demon.  Total lap cat.  If the reason she had stopped eating was due to depression over having been surrendered, perhaps she's just needing more attention on her own away from other cats?  I want what's best for her, but I need to be mindful of my own cats as well.  They're pretty easy going and I've had fosters in with no (or minimal) issues.  They're generally friendly and interested in other cats, but the ones who want to be left alone are just left alone.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So they have been together previously for 10-15 minutes and then the incident happened.

Was there anything different in the time before the foster attacked? Any stress, anything at all? Any staring or anything to cause the foster to be scared? Have they ever been in the hall/stairwell together before? When in a confined space they can feel more anxious and threatened and can lead to attacks even when there is no obvious threat from another cat.

How was the foster acting before the attack? Tail up, confident or slinking around a bit or unconfident? 

3 weeks is not a long time especially when things have happened that have been stressful.

Have you been working to build the foster's confidence? Playing with her around the house then after play feeding? Getting her up on cat trees or high up in the air? 

When they were together was it in a open space? If or when they were in a more confined space how did they react?

Given everything I personally would work on re-introducing but slowly if possible. The stakes are high so I would really work to build her confidence. She needs to feel like she owns the place, every square inch. Play and food and going high helps a lot in that. 

Confident cats typically do not attack and given your cats are good that will help build her confidence.

I think for some reason she viewed the boy as a threat (he was above her and it was a confined space). I think it was just bad timing, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Given the issues she has faced (being 3yrs old and given to a shelter for whatever reason and the fact she was off her food) it is probably best to take it a bit slower and build on small wins.

It sounds like you know cats well and I hope you and the shelter can give this cat more time in this environment. It may take a little longer but I think given what you have written it can work.

Please let me know if I can help during the process. Good luck and thank you for all you are doing to help this cat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sonyushashuman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks - They had previously been together a few times, just never longer than 10-15 minutes.

She has possession full time of an upstairs bed/bath and I haven't let the resident cats in her area yet while she is in there - that's her safe place.  She has trees and toys and cat beds in there and since I work from home I often curl up in bed with her during the day for a nap.  She's very affectionate when she is relaxed.  So far she isn't interested in playing at all.  She wants to be held all day and she eats best if she can do so while sitting in my lap.

There was nothing that I saw to precipitate the attack.  The only thing I can think of is that since he was at the top of the stairs, he was between her and "her" space.  He wasn't paying her any mind at the time - he just likes to sit up there and watch the wildlife in the trees outside the windows; he was window watching and grooming.  The stairs go up to an open living space with the bedrooms off to either side, so it is a pretty open space with cat condos and bookcases and various toys they all make use of. 

She wasn't slinking around before the attack, but she was definitely on high alert wandering around at the foot of the stairs.  She didn't venture very far from the stairwell.

She has as long here as she needs, and I don't have to rush a decision about adopting.  She could eventually learn to coexist here with the other cats, or I could find just the right placement for her as an only cat.  Getting her to eat is still challenging.  Steak -  no problem.  Roast beef - sure.  Tuna - absolutely.  Cat food - you must be joking.  Tried her on the raw, on Weruva, ZiwiPeak, Wild Calling, Wellness and Halo.. no go.  In desperation I went out and bought Friskies, Fancy Feast and Meow Mix - no go.  For now at least she is eating something.  She will consent to eating Temptations so somewhere in there I'm sure she really is a cat.  Longer term she is obviously going to need to eat something different.  Until that happens and she is keeping her weight stable, she isn't going anywhere.  I'm giving her more time before trying again. 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are on to something that she wanted to get back to "her" place and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. There isn't really anything else that is obvious. I am guessing it was just an unlucky situation sadly.

So glad there is time. It sounds like she is going to need a bit more time. She seems to have gone through something. Poor thing.

I agree the most important thing is getting her to eat and maintain her weight. She also has to start liking cat food (easier said than done). I am not an expert on getting cats to eat as I have never faced a cat that will not eat. I have had and have picky/finicky cats but never one that is so difficult. You may want to post on getting a cat to eat and see what suggestions others may make. I think I would try to wean her off of eating on your lap as it may create a dependency situation but it is more important that she maintains her health/weight in the near term. I work more on behavioral issues and not eating issues so I am not a great help in eating issues sadly. But I am sure others on this site are.

Too bad she isn't interested in playing. I would work using a number of toys from Da Bird to even rolling a ball on the ground and anything in between. It may also help her eating. To recreate the "Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat" way of the wild. It also will help build her confidence.

Is she going up on the cat trees? That will help as well. Is she ever low in "her" room?

I think she will be fine with the other cats eventually. I would probably do some scent swapping. Get an old shirt and get the scent of the other cats on it and have it around where she feels safe and secure and happy. Also try to encourage her to explore so long as no one is "in the way".

I use warm chicken thighs with all cats to build confidence. I am not sure if it is better or healthier than beef or tuna but it does work wonders. In the Cat Nutrition section I am sure people will be able to help.

Given she has a more difficult time eating it complicates things but eventually getting her to eat by the others will help associate other cats with good things (like food). But that is for another day.

So I would focus on a few things. Getting her to eat and maintain weight/get healthy. I would try to post on Cat Health or Cat Nutrition for advice on getting her to eat her cat food. I would rule out any medical issues fully as well. I would really try to get her to play, try anything and everything. And I would probably do some scent swapping. Finally, the incident probably was a bit of a set back so I would wait a bit for them to see each other and then try to associate each of them with good things. But given the history that there weren't any incidents I am guessing this was an isolated incident and should not be a real problem.

Do you know what her history is? I worry that her eating (though improved) is not yet at a normal state. And that her taste in food is so limited, I don't know maybe there is a taste or smell issue or a teeth issue? I don't know as I have never faced something to this extent.

It sounds like you are doing a great job. I am not too worried about her getting along, I think you know how to do that and she seems like as good cat.  If you need any help I am happy to help,

sonyushashuman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again - I will check on the nutrition forum as well. 

In her room she is happy most of the time, and she does use the cat trees.  She doesn't race up and down, but I will usually find her on a platform about half way up keeping an eye on things.  She does growl or hiss now if the other cats are making too much noise outside the door, but she settles down relatively quickly.

I haven't seen  her play yet, but she does seem to enjoy catnip.  Or rather - if I leave a catnip toy in the room, it is destroyed by the time I return.  I don't know if she plays with them or simply kills them - but they are torn apart and the catnip is scattered everywhere.  I've tried teasers (they annoy her), balls of various sorts, squeaky toys and the laser - just not interested.  If she sees me she wants to be in my lap with her head pressed into my chest or her face shoved under my arm.

We haven't been able to find any medical or dental issues - the only thing that was off were the liver enzymes, which have improved now that she is eating something at least.  She will eat chicken as well - tonight her dinner was some warm chicken in a gravy of warm juices (no spices added, just roast chicken) mixed with KMR.  She ate most of it and at least she did drink all of the "gravy" as keeping her hydrated is also a challenge.

She did eat a little (2 bites) Rad Cat earlier today so I am hopeful of getting her swapped away (albeit obviously...very.. slowly..) from people food.  I can't say that she was all that excited about it, but she did eat it.  That's more than I can say for any other cat food I've offered. 

Unfortunately we know very little of her history as not much was given when she was surrendered and I have NO idea what they were feeding her at home.  She's generally very sweet, but can turn snappy with little warning.  It seems like  - as long as she can pretend that she is the only cat in the world, things are good.  If she is curled up and purring with me and another cat comes and scratches at the door she will bite without warning.  This isn't a nip - it's a definite bite and fortunately my cats aren't exactly quiet coming up the stairs so I have learned to set her down before this happens.  The reason given for the surrender was that the couple was moving.  I have to wonder if there were issues or a bad experience with other pets, but all I have to go on is what was written on the paperwork.

She's due for a recheck tomorrow on the blood work so I will ask what else we can do for her.  At this point I don't know - it might be time to try an appetite stimulant of some sort, because her weight really does need to stabilize.  She came in overweight, so she's hardly emaciated,  but on the flip side - the not eating and the weight loss is scarier with her being overweight.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

Great that she is using the cat tree. A good sign of confidence.

Hopefully we can get her to play, keep trying slowly. Play really does build confidence especially in the Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat mode. But some cats can be a bit more difficult to get to play. She may warm up after getting more comfortable in the house. Is she bonded with anyone else in the house? We want her to feel secure but we also want her to not be too dependent on you. It is a fine line and very much art rather than science. Something to think about down the road.

I have a feeling that there was an issue with another animal (cat). It sounds to me like a trust/confidence/fear issue. Some kind of trauma. Just take it slowly and build her confidence, when she has confidence and builds trust she should do well. It doesn't sound like she has issues with humans. We can do things to build trust with other cats down the road.

I didn't realize she was overweight. I am not an expert on health/eating issues sadly. I would post this and try to get other opinions on what might be going on. Either she was eating a lot before (to get overweight -  either good food or bad food) or maybe a medical issue. Not knowing the history makes it more difficult. But maybe on the Health section others have encountered this.

I would giving her good food like the warm chicken and giving love to build trust and ownership. Also basschick mentions the baby food which is a great idea. Keep trying play but take it slowly and do not push. Try to give her an opportunity to look outside to watch the birds etc. And at some point start the scent swapping and site swapping then associating the other cats with good things (food). 

I am happy to help through the process and will be here along the way to help with any questions. I am confident you can help her adjust and get along.

Please let me know how things are going and if you need to discuss anything I will be here for you. I wish I could help on the eating issue but I am confident that others in the Health section will be able to help a lot.

sonyushashuman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast Fish & Shrimp she will eat. 

Also, it turns out, the shrimp flavored Meow Mix cups.

Little by little she is starting to become more willing to eat cat food.  I mix in small bits with what she will eat, and as long as I don't change the ratio too quickly it seems to be working.

sonyushashuman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has a window in the room where she is staying, and I give her about an hour a day on the catio with the other cats locked out.  She loves to be out there, but mostly just wants to be wherever I am.  I give her as much of that as I can, but it's definitely not a single cat household here. 

She is starting to show some interest in one of my own cats.  Or a lack of aggression towards her is probably a better way of putting it.  When she is in the catio, my girl (she is relentless in her desire to befriend any and all comers to the home) will sit by the window chirping at her.  The last few days they have spend some time on opposite sides of the glass not fighting.  Perhaps in the coming week I will try some time in the catio together.

She still has little interest in playing other than destroying catnip toys.  She does love the incline scratchers and I just make sure that there is a variety of toys available.  I try, she ignores my overtures, we go back to cuddling.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great that she is starting to eat more. Great news. Keep up with what you are doing, you are doing great.

That is great that she is showing interest in another cat. Go slowly with them. Keep them separated by a screen for a while before letting them together without a barrier. If there is anyway to associate the other cat with good things (in this case love as long as you don't risk being hurt) then that should help. When they are together be ready to distract if there is too much focus. But we can get to that when the time comes.

It sounds like some progress was made. Just take it slow and make sure she knows she is loved and wanted which will build her confidence. I wish we could use food and play to build confidence but height and love can work as well.

Keep up the great work.