Aggression During Walks?

katnisskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have been taking katniss for walks around the apartment building for a few month now (on a harness and leash), but lately she has been getting really aggressive during her walks. If I try to redirector her, she will growl and sometimes hiss, and when its time to go in she won't let me touch her to pick her up, and sometimes will even lay down and i almost have to drag her!! at first, i thought it was the people around trying to pet her, theres a little boy that always wants to pet her but he doesn't pet,he gropes, so we go out later when everyone is sleeping. any suggestions on what could be causing this or even ways to stop the aggression?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be that there are some new cats in the area and she's feeling territorially threatened. I'm not sure how you'd go about changing her behaviour though. all I can think of is having something to redirect her attention - maybe a favourite wand toy or treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katnisskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i will try that thank you! i do notice that she does fine until she sees a rabbit or a bird lol there are other cats around but to my knowledge she is the only one that goes for walks =)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this problem with my cat.  He likes to stay out longer than I do especially if it's dusk or dark. out.  Lately I've been bringing the DaBird toy out and he enjoys chasing it in the grass.  He gets tired out and comes in sooner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katnisskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought Katniss' fishy toy that's on a stick out the past few times and it has helped tons!!!! Thanks for this advice! I also brought treats the first few times and when she played with her fishy, I would give her a treat. If she hissed I would completely ignore her, if she tried to move I would just stand there and not allow her to go anywhere, then distract with the toy and repeat! I haven't had any issues with aggression since .... Well unless a rabbit shows up and then is all over!! lol

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad the toy diversion (along with a little bribery and corruption ;) ) worked :clap: I'm not surprised rabbits still get a strong reaction - live prey will trump fake prey every time! :lol3: