Aggression Between Two Cats (one Not Eating)

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
45631D8B-A037-4665-8D89-B5F6527A00C0.jpeg
C8DF3580-74A7-43C8-8C77-AB8C4ADD26DD.jpeg
it’s been a very long time since I’ve posted on this forum so first I’d like to say hello to everyone!
Two weeks ago I moved into my very own apartment with my fiancé. Prior to this I lived with my parents and my older male cat spooky, stayed with me. My younger female cat stayed with my fiancé. We knew the transition would be stressful for them both so we tried to bring them into the house at the same time so one wouldn’t mark their territory or spread their scent throughout the apartment before the other. We separated them right away. We tried to introduce them properly but it’s been about 4 days and there still hasn’t been any progress. My older cat spooky has been adjusting faster than the female plus she’s nuch more aggressive and possessive. She also hasn’t been eating and I’m worried about that. It’s been 4 days so should I just keep being patient and keep trying or try a different approach? I’m worried also because my female cat Salem is starting to hiss and swat at me. My older male cat spooky is also hissing which he’s never done before to me. I’ve tried to split attention evenly between the amiss all the hostility between them but it hasn’t been working and I’m sort of running out of options

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moving + new cat is a lot of stress, 4 days is nothing! How are they separated? Can they see each? Have you done any scent swapping?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long since your female last ate? That's the most pressing issue right now, as cats shouldn't go longer than 24 hours without eating. If she is not eating anything, try offering her anything and everything you can think of to get some calories in her - treats, deli meats, tuna, etc. And if it's been more than 24 hours, please contact your vet for advice, as hepatic lipidosis, can begin within 24-48 hours of lack of food, but is reversible if caught in time.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? | TheCatSite
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again | TheCatSite

Once she's eating again, then you can focus on the introductions.

Here's some more TCS articles:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite

Is Your Cat Stressed Out? | TheCatSite
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats | TheCatSite

Good luck. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Moving + new cat is a lot of stress, 4 days is nothing! How are they separated? Can they see each? Have you done any scent swapping?
One is in the bedroom, the other has the living room.
They’ve seen each other because spooky has escaped and traveled into the living room and they’ve had unfavorable encounters. Salem has hissed and growled and we’ve set them apart again.
We’ve tried scent swapping. Spooky has done ok, but Salem just hisses

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long since your female last ate? That's the most pressing issue right now, as cats shouldn't go longer than 24 hours without eating. If she is not eating anything, try offering her anything and everything you can think of to get some calories in her - treats, deli meats, tuna, etc. And if it's been more than 24 hours, please contact your vet for advice, as hepatic lipidosis, can begin within 24-48 hours of lack of food, but is reversible if caught in time.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? | TheCatSite
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again | TheCatSite

Once she's eating again, then you can focus on the introductions.

Here's some more TCS articles:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite

Is Your Cat Stressed Out? | TheCatSite
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats | TheCatSite

Good luck. Please keep us posted on how things are going.
She eats here and there but never a full meal

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah 4 days is nothing. I’ve separated mine for more than a month not and still not much progress :<

As for Salem, she’s just stressed about the new environment and meeting Spooky. My cat Meffy didn’t eat for a few days of my case but try to give her small amounts so you can see if she’s eating a little bit. It went for 2 weeks before she started eating like normal again.

Cat reintroduction is a very slow process especially if you have one cat more aggressive than the other like my case. Give them time, like I’m doing here and slowly they will calm down. You can also use Feliway to calm them since it works for some people. It’s hard to play with them if they are both preoccupied with “who is that other cat in this strange house.” Give them lots of cuddles as it will help calm them down.

I hope things work out for you soon :) I’m hoping the same for myself too.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She eats here and there but never a full meal
Ok. That's good. Just watch her, and make sure she keeps eating. And spend time with just her.

As for cat introductions, on the rare occasion cats get along right away, but normally it takes time. Especially when both cats are adults. So 4 days is nothing to worry about.

Keep them separated, and let one out at a time to scent swap.

BTW, hissing and growling isn't all bad. It's just the way a cat communicates with another cat. It's when there's fur flying, blood, or a visibly scared cat that you need to be more concerned.

Give them time. And hopefully, they'll be best buds before you know it.

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. That's good. Just watch her, and make sure she keeps eating. And spend time with just her.

As for cat introductions, on the rare occasion cats get along right away, but normally it takes time. Especially when both cats are adults. So 4 days is nothing to worry about.

Keep them separated, and let one out at a time to scent swap.

BTW, hissing and growling isn't all bad. It's just the way a cat communicates with another cat. It's when there's fur flying, blood, or a visibly scared cat that you need to be more concerned.

Give them time. And hopefully, they'll be best buds before you know it.
The good thing is her ears are never back when she hisses, but I can’t really tell if it’s his approach that makes her scared or if she’s really that scared in general.
He just tried to use her litter box when he escaped today by accident. I’m sure that’s not good so I’m keeping them separated again
What do I do about splitting attention? Every time I leave the other they meow very loudly and I’m afraid they may disturb the neighbors

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
When my daughter moved out with her cat of my home after being in school to an apartment Beans was pretty freaked out for a while, I thought maybe there were some strange scents in the apt. from previous tenant or maybe that person had a cat or a dog that was making him so anxious. But anyway yes 4 days is not much time at all for cats.
Some people try a little baby food meat to get some food in?
Hopefully the neighbors won't mind the meowing.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you get a hold of Jackon Galaxy's Cat Mojo book? I read it recently and he spends a LOT of time on cat introductions and goes into detail. I'd pick up a copy of that and go through the links rubysmama rubysmama mentioned too. I've never introduced cats before, but everything I've read says it's a slow and careful process - 4 days is a very short time to acclimate to one another, especially after a move. Give it time and take it slow.

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has gotten very bad. He is screaming meowing and he won’t stop. They are fighting constantly. I can’t sleep. I don’t know what to do

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have to still keep them separated. Counting the earlier 4 days, it’s only been over a week. Since they keep being exposed to one another so soon before they are fully calm and secure only makes things go downhill again.

Take a deep breath and restart. Separate them completely for a full week and reintroduce slowly. I’m in the same boat as you now and I’ve been in it for over a month now. My cats are still not cool yet so I’m taking it super slow.

Don’t despair. You can do it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats absolutely hate/fear change and you have introduced two huge ones. Females hissing, swatting, and growling is a perfectly normal reaction to the approach of a stranger. If there are no full out attacks and blood drawn, everything is going smoothly. You might try a large dog crate to keep one in so they can observe each other without actually interacting physically and then swapping them out. What do they look like when they see each other/ does one move towards the other and look like they will attack? Or do they move about normally, maybe hunkering down and staring at the other? Him using her litterbox is actually good, they would get used to each other's scents. It sounds like spooky is more concerned with the move than with Salem. give them both lots of attention and treats, they need reassurance. Time is teh only thing that helps. I have found that females are the manners teachers, the limit setters. They often do not 'buddy' up to the males but are alone and will hiss and swat if the boys come too close. Eventually they will form a unit, tolerate each other, keep each other company, and provide an escape from boredom. All the luck, I know it seems horrible right now, but in time it WILL get better, it always does!